Click no crank, truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive how you like that Cold Case radiator? I'm discouraged I didn't know about them when I ordered my new one. I would have totally sprung for all metal, larger radiator!

@rockola1971 where are you in the Midwest?

Seems I should make a external voltage regulator circuit so they can rebuild the newer alternators :) My background is embedded systems engineering. Last major project was a Lithium Polymer battery controller for an aircraft. Had to write control stuff for charging once APUs got started as well as for starting up the system. I think only difference on newer alternators is the voltage regulator is in the PCM?

Currently fiddling around building some other stuff after work / Bluetooth devices.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive how you like that Cold Case radiator? I'm discouraged I didn't know about them when I ordered my new one. I would have totally sprung for all metal, larger radiator!

@rockola1971 where are you in the Midwest?

Seems I should make a external voltage regulator circuit so they can rebuild the newer alternators :) My background is embedded systems engineering. Last major project was a Lithium Polymer battery controller for an aircraft. Had to write control stuff for charging once APUs got started as well as for starting up the system. I think only difference on newer alternators is the voltage regulator is in the PCM?

Currently fiddling around building some other stuff after work / Bluetooth devices.
I thought perhaps the coldcase would not leak but it did within 30 days.
The newer 2 pin alternators are excited by some external source I would imagine some kind of sine wave?, from what I was told they could be used without the signal from the pcm but this would cause a charging error to come up on the dash and that there was no way around that.
the machine they use to test the older alternators at the repair shop is a belt drive with a arm to increase/decrease speed and it has a large analog vu meter that measures the output volts/amps. those guys that worked in there new there stuff, they could assemble/disassemble those things blindfolded, if you needed something fixed fast you could be in and out there in 15 minutes and 1/2 of that time was just doing paperwork. I used to work for a fertilizer company that was a division of con-agra we had lots of conveyors and dumpers, shakers, mixers and loaders, we would unload rail cars and send it all over the warehouse's and stuff was always breaking down so I was at the shop often.
some of those rail cars were a real ***** to get open i'm 6'4 with a 8 foot steel bar shoved in the gear to turn it and sometimes you would just end up with a bent steel bar those things were unforgiving

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I'd love to rebuild and alternator. I keep thinking back to the days when they repaired TV's and other electronics as well. I tore down a big flat screen TV that stopped working somebody gave me. The back light had went out. Was more expensive to buy the backlight than another used TV. Kind of insane how everything is throw away now. Another blessing to having a truck a few years older, so long as gas supply is still there in a few years. There is a rebuild shop in Tucson people tell me. However, I tend to take things apart myself and mostly figure it out. I watched some alternator stuff though and seems a bit more complex.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look here (especially the 10 SI, The easiest most convertable alt there was).- https://store.alternatorparts.com/10si-series-alternator-parts-kits.aspx

On Bosch starters, my experience has been like 2 KW starter with a 1.7KW relay or other stupid mismatches. I try to avoid them. Hated Bosch in little 914's and hot VW's, only 1 that worked in each and 37 fit. And no true published specs. Thank God gear drives arrived!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator