Chirping noise coming from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that there was no chirping noise before you changed out power steering pump? While it isn't impossible, I find it odd that the crank bearing would just suddenly start chirping. I guess the belt could have held enough tension on the crank pulley to keep the noise down. Once removed it allowed the crank to "fall out of groove" and now it chirps. Does the engine still run good? Any other issues other than the chirping? If the answer is no, then I would keep driving it and see if the chirp goes away. (bearing wearing back in) Unless the chirping is as loud as a police siren. o_O

OP
OP
G

g spot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Correct, no noise (or not really noticeable) before the power steering pump swap. After I restarted I heard a little noise, which I thought was from the pump. The noise had grown to a pretty loud chirping noise during the day while my wife drove it around town. I'm convinced at this point the timing was just a coincidence.

It's not police siren loud but it is pretty loud, even in the cab.

I didn't take a video, but it sounds just like this:

Oil pressure is good and the oil is only a month old (~400 miles). I bought this truck brand new in 2004 and have performed all maintenance myself. I have been religious with oil changes and have always used Mobile 1 oil and filters. This issue caught me by surprise.

Not sure how I feel about driving it. Many of our roads in north Dallas don't have shoulders, so you're screwed if you stall out. If I do drive it to see if it heals, any additives you would suggest?

If I can find a seemingly decent 5.3, how hard is the swap? I don't have concerns reconnecting the accessories, but am curious how hard/scientific the engine/transmission alignment is. What parts would I want to have handy?

Last edited:

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for additives, Lucas oil stabilizer. It is thick like honey and will coat the bearing.
Either the tranny or engine block will have locating pins to align the bell housing to the block. I would have the torque converter on the transmission and then attach the block then bolt it to the flywheel after engine install. As for parts, a long extention and swivel joint to reach the bolts that are abstructed by the firewall, a transmission or floor jack to manuver the tranny if needed and an engine leveller ( don't remember the correct name) connected to your hoist.

Daviddto

Reaction score
Does the noise ever go away? I have a similar sound but it doesnt do it all the time.