Chip shortage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, traded into a new '23 suburban HC on Tuesday, 1st thing was the test drive on I-20 interstate to verify a functioning Adaptive Cruise Control :thumbsup:

Salesperson tried to steer me onto a pre-arranged route that wasn't interstate.. :lol2:

jmzvet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point in time “chip shortage” is induced by manufacturers of cars.

Cars rely on chips made using mature—40-nanometer and older—manufacturing processes. Those processes make up most of the installed manufacturing capacity globally. If there was really a chip shortage Tesla would not be producing cars at max rate (which they are)

There is a real industry advantage to carry on a chip shortage idea.

people pay more, don’t haggle, agree to weeks or longer repairs and pay more for repairs. dealers/manufacturers win big time.

There was a real chip shortage in 2021 early 2022 but not now.

The most complex processors are not used in cars. far from it and the manufacturing embargos in place for China on complex processors don’t affect cars.
That sounds 100% reasonable and factual. I’d guess the chip to control a heated steering wheel is less complex than the chip in the phone I’m holding. I haven’t heard anything about a mobile phone shortage.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there’s a place you can find out what chips you’re missing? I bought a ‘23 Yukon XL duramax and they told me me it has adaptive cruise (had it on my Durango and it was a must with the purchase) but when i questioned after driving home and not getting it to work they said it does but missing the chip. I’m assuming my intellibeam headlights are the same issue….
My advice is to accept the vehicle "as it is". It's unlikely these missing chips will ever be added. Many people are delighted that the evil Stop-Start technology does not work in their vehicles, (although permanent overrides are readily available). I would also exercise caution with any software updates that are offered. If you do an update, and you don't like what it did to your vehicle there is no easy way back. If you're more or less happy, don't do any updates.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adaptive cruise is a $500 add on option, can not be retro fitted. Will say on the window sticker if it was added, it’s not standard on Denali. Only standard on the Denali ultimate.
I really hate how GM structures it’s options among the trim. Ford does the same crap with the expedition and navigator.

OP
OP
M

medicmegs08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My advice is to accept the vehicle "as it is". It's unlikely these missing chips will ever be added. Many people are delighted that the evil Stop-Start technology does not work in their vehicles, (although permanent overrides are readily available). I would also exercise caution with any software updates that are offered. If you do an update, and you don't like what it did to your vehicle there is no easy way back. If you're more or less happy, don't do any updates.
Oh I did, I have had it for 3 months. They tell me GM will tell me when the chips are available for install. Unfortunately it has the start/stop chip… would’ve been totally ok with not having that one.

OP
OP
M

medicmegs08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup, traded into a new '23 suburban HC on Tuesday, 1st thing was the test drive on I-20 interstate to verify a functioning Adaptive Cruise Control :thumbsup:

Salesperson tried to steer me onto a pre-arranged route that wasn't interstate.. :lol2:
Yeah they routed me a non-interstate route also. It was on the listing so I didn’t question. I looked at my sticker again and it stays the intellibeam lamps but it doesn’t state the adaptive cruise.

OP
OP
M

medicmegs08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What does your window sticker say? It'll say a) if it has adaptive cruise at all and b) if it’s omitted but will be available to retrofit in the future.

If it doesnt say either of those things, it doesn't have adaptive. Even a Denali doesn’t have adaptive without a package as far as I know.

Intellibeam auto brights aren’t on by default, look in the manual on how to turn them on, it’s a weird back and forth combination with the high beams stalk.
This was a packaged out denali I believe. Not the one I had originally ordered that was a plain Jane denali with the features I wanted added. It states intellibeam on the sticker, doesn’t state adaptive, but no price adjustment for it missing. The dealer had it listed with adaptive. They didn’t charge extra for the adaptive when I put it on the one I had ordered, it was just in one of the add on groups.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine it was part of the Denali Premium Package under Advanced Technology sub-package.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 11-42-52 GMLBL_PROD_0040 - windowSticker.do.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 11-42-52 GMLBL_PROD_0040 - windowSticker.do.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2