Chevy Rep question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a question about a 2018 Chevy Colorado zr2...
Same platform as the GMC Canyon.

I’m picking one up Thursday and i want to add a “sports bar” with the “led lights” on top.
The lights kit part number is:84095160

The bar is an easy install, and actually so are the lights. They come with the wire harness and switch.
However, I don’t know if there needs to be a code programmed into the BCM for the lights to work after installation or not.

The dealer quoted me $650 for the install (about an hours work, 2 if you take your time) and the parts are full retail. I can get them from gm accessories for 20% Off.
All in the dealer wants $1200 more than if I did it myself.

I’m stuck if the truck has to have the bcm update. The dealers around here suck and i doubt they will upload the bcm for an hours labor charge.

I’m driving 2.5 hrs to buy the truck because the local places are such a holes...

Can anyone advise?

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem answered. Gm says suck it up and pay out. Bcm programming is the realm of dealers and if you want options you have to pay the dealer to install them. You can’t.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a question about a 2018 Chevy Colorado zr2...
Same platform as the GMC Canyon.

I’m picking one up Thursday and i want to add a “sports bar” with the “led lights” on top.
The lights kit part number is:84095160

The bar is an easy install, and actually so are the lights. They come with the wire harness and switch.
However, I don’t know if there needs to be a code programmed into the BCM for the lights to work after installation or not.

The dealer quoted me $650 for the install (about an hours work, 2 if you take your time) and the parts are full retail. I can get them from gm accessories for 20% Off.
All in the dealer wants $1200 more than if I did it myself.

I’m stuck if the truck has to have the bcm update. The dealers around here suck and i doubt they will upload the bcm for an hours labor charge.

I’m driving 2.5 hrs to buy the truck because the local places are such a holes...

Can anyone advise?

I sell GM accessories. Typically the kit you’re referring to comes with a code to flash the BCM to accept factory programming. You can install it yourself, bring the code to the dealer, and have them flash the code into the BCM. Most dealers will charge .5-1 hour of labor depending on how long the flash takes.

This is quite common.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he has a laptop he can buy the MDI/GDS and do it himself (program the BCM) with a 3-day subscription.

Since you mentioned GM Accessories, have you ever seen the GMC Yukon Front Fascia Extension that was only offered the first couple of years? It interests me but have not read any reviews about it or seen other than stock photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep