Charging Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shoop

Reaction score
I'm trying to make sure I charge the battery correctly according to the instructions here: https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc.../en_US/2.0/2k13tahsub-4234996529374405009.pdf

It says: "Your vehicle has a remote positive (+) jump starting terminal and a remote negative (−) jump starting terminal. You should always use these remote terminals instead of the terminals on the battery."

I don't think the negative cable can reach it the remote negative terminal. Is there another spot I can put negative?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make sure I charge the battery correctly according to the instructions here: https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc.../en_US/2.0/2k13tahsub-4234996529374405009.pdf

It says: "Your vehicle has a remote positive (+) jump starting terminal and a remote negative (−) jump starting terminal. You should always use these remote terminals instead of the terminals on the battery."

I don't think the negative cable can reach it the remote negative terminal. Is there another spot I can put negative?
I always use the terminals on the battery on mine. Have done so for years. My 2012 is a dedicated towing rig and spends 95% of the time in the garage - often not being driven for weeks. So I keep a battery maintainer on it and have never had a problem.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also find a clean piece of metal (most likely aluminum) on the accessory mounts, or a dedicated ground lug on the block. I usually go to the battery for the positive cable, but they bury these new batteries so the negative is usually harder to reach. In that case I find a good piece of block to go to for the negative

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unless I am in a hurry, I like to disconnect the battery and screw in a couple of correct thread bolts and charge the battery that way. This gives me a chance to check connections and cables for corrosion. Otherwise, I like to attach charging cables right at the battery. When you clamp the charging cables on, wiggle a little to get a good connection. The connection at positive battery is fine and can use a remote ground source as long as battery charger readout shows a good connection.

Next question: Why are you charging the battery? You did not say. Alternator problems? If swapping out a battery, charge it outside the battery tray and then check alternator output after a restart and with a few loads on the system.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just use the battery terminals, they only put that in the manual in case you are a few short of a 6-pack and reverse the cables and blow the battery up, if you connect it backwards using the negative bracket then it just pops a fuse

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about charging or jumpstarting?

They state it that way because of the tiniest remote possibility that the battery has outgassed some hydrogen, any spark near the battery could cause a fire or explosion. Dead batteries are more likely to be giving off hydrogen.

As stated previously, the remote locations are encouraged to minimize sparking near the battery.

For jumpstarting, clamping the ground onto any stout metal piece works well. Not so much for charging, given the much lower current levels. An actual charger (not a battery jumpstarter) should be connected to the actual battery terminals.

Most chargers nowadays are some kind of smart charger that analyzes battery voltage/condition. The added resistance of an indirect connection could add enough electrical resistance to throw off the charger's reading.

OP
OP
S

shoop

Reaction score
I have the SSV unit with battery in top left and battery front right. Would I charge battery in top left?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan