Charged AC not blowing cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after installing the new clutch switch onto the compressor and it having no affect, it seems that the clutch plate isn't engaging regardless of wether AC is on or not. I used a paper clip on the wiring to see if that would engage it and nothing happened. Voltage to the relay for the AC is at 12V, i tested the voltage of the wires going into the clutch switch and read approx 2V. is that a problem?
Not sure what reading you should see @ the clutch switch. The clutch not engaging is definitely a problem. If a new switch and/or paperclip have not solved it I would suspect the clutch.

Keep in mind I am far from an expert on this. I assume one will chime in here shortly.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
So a couple summers ago, my ac was working intermittently before not blowing cold completely. The AC is properly charged with the coolant but the AC will just blow air the same temp as the ambient temp. Hot air works fine. Is this a bad compressor, condenser, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
I have an 01 also and the a/c idler tensioner pulley has failed twice. The last one was only about a year old so I didn't suspect it immediately when the a/c started underperforming. It would work ok enough driving around but sitting still it blew warm. Replaced the fan clutch and of course checked the charge. Finally I found that the tensioner just wasn't keeping the belt tight enough. All good since then.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
You should see 12 volts at the compressor. My AC stopped working and I measured 12V at my compressor, but it wasn't turning on. I hooked a battery directly to the compressor and it worked perfect. I cleaned my connector and it started working correctly.

BigMac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might have the pressure switch replaced on the Evap Canister. It senses the temp in the cabin (converts it to pressure) and it turns the compressor on and off. Easy fix.

DansOtter

Reaction score
so after installing the new clutch switch onto the compressor and it having no affect, it seems that the clutch plate isn't engaging regardless of wether AC is on or not. I used a paper clip on the wiring to see if that would engage it and nothing happened. Voltage to the relay for the AC is at 12V, i tested the voltage of the wires going into the clutch switch and read approx 2V. is that a problem?

Hey Greylin, did you ever resolve the problem? I'm having the same issue.

I've already replaced most components on the interior; blend door, HVAC control, aspirator sensor, auto HVAC sensor. Just this week the compressor stopped engaging. Of course... now that it's almost July.

Flingflanger

Reaction score
Not to belay the obvious, but have you tried this?

When i bought my 'Hoe, the original owner thought the AC was just broken after he dumped a bunch of money in it and the AC still didn't work. I did the reset procedure and its blown cold ever since.

DansOtter

Reaction score
Not to belay the obvious, but have you tried this?

When i bought my 'Hoe, the original owner thought the AC was just broken after he dumped a bunch of money in it and the AC still didn't work. I did the reset procedure and its blown cold ever since.

Yeah I did that when I replaced the blend door actuator and everything worked great for a while.

Problem I'm having now is that it's not kicking on the AC compressor, and my freon is full. But it's intermittent and I can't duplicate it. I'm hoping the pressure switch that a few folks mentioned here would do the trick. If not, I have no idea where else to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907