Changing Transmission Filter (First Time Ever)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lumberjack890

Reaction score
Yukon has 287k on it. Not the original owner. Is it safe to change the filter on the transmission and refill it with new fluid?

I know flushing it is a no go at this point

2001 GMC Yukon 5.3 V8

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yukon has 287k on it. Not the original owner. Is it safe to change the filter on the transmission and refill it with new fluid?

2001 GMC Yukon 5.3 V8
i wouldn’t touch it....i wouldn’t even think about it.... and i’d slap my wife if she even uttered the word trans....

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2001 GMC Yukon 5.3 V8
depends. if it was changed frequently or not what color is it right now?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn’t touch it....i wouldn’t even think about it.... and i’d slap my wife if she even uttered the word trans....

Not changed frequently. Its brown with a hint of the red/pink

Still shifts like a dream

seriously, i wouldn’t touch it. asking for trouble imo. now if you told me it was changed at 60, 120, 180...etc sure go ahead... but you don’t know, it’s shifting fine.... now...granpappy always said.... if it ain’t broke

OP
OP
L

lumberjack890

Reaction score
seriously, i wouldn’t touch it. asking for trouble imo. now if you told me it was changed at 60, 120, 180...etc sure go ahead... but you don’t know, it’s shifting fine.... now...granpappy always said.... if it ain’t broke
That's why im thinking of changing it. It's shifts like new rn, but eventually something has to go wrong

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo changing the filter and replacing the fluid is exactly what you should do. Just don’t flush it.
i see both sides of this Mark but with not knowing the history of trans and the mileage on the vehicle, i would be very wary of changing it. just my opinion.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean it has 287k on a 4l60. It’s not going to last much longer imo either way so it probably doesn’t matter. I just have never heard of a filter change and adding the lost fluid that results from that causing a problem, I don’t see how it could. You’re just dropping the pan, replacing a filter that’s probably not filtering anymore, and replacing the fluid that was lost along with any bits of crud that’s laying in the pan. IDK. If it was me, I would do the filter. And save for a new trans.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Not changed frequently. Its brown with a hint of the red/pink

Still shifts like a dream

I did the first trans oil change on my Silverado at 201k miles and no damage was done. The oil also looked brownish/red.

Took a 2000 mile trip right after and truck ran like it did prior to the oil change. I also don't drive my vehicles like I stole them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe