CCM level, Bilstein 5100 and Moog Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not familiar with how the spring "perch" setup/condition may or may not differ, if at all, from a 4Runner suspension, or if Bilstein 5100s should be able to be used simply on their own for a mild lift just the same way in the Suburban, if the perches are in fine shape? It sounds like that's what you did in the front, with no Bilstein's in the rear and a just a spacer instead? And you went highest setting in the front? I like the way your truck sits.

You can use the 5100's alone for a 2" lift up front. You will need to make sure that your existing perches are going to be salvageable but if they are, you can just set them up on the highest notch of the 5100s for a 2" (I think it's actually like 1.9 something) lift. You don't need to change anything else at all, this is within the tolerances of the GMT900 front suspension. This is only possible for the front however, so if you want to lift the rear a bit, you will need a rear lift of some kind. I just used 1" pucks for mine.

As far as figuring out what height adjustability I wanted to go with, there were literally dozens of threads with people posting pictures of their 4Runners at the various settings, but I've had very little luck finding that with either the Suburban or Tahoe. I figure I'd probably try with the same 3rd/2nd setup I used previously. Seems like the Rancho QuickLift may be more popular among the GMs, though I've seen mixed reviews for them, riding rough, etc. My Bilstein's definitely rode firmer, but in a good way IMO, not rough, and with much improved nose dive in braking and body roll, etc.

I am actually using the Ranchos. I could not use the Bilsteins because my perches were not salvageable and there was no way to get new ones without buying a new set of shocks. I'm very happy with the Ranchos so far, and they were great to install because they came already assembled. I didn't need to deal with spring compressors and breaking down the old factory assemblies. Plus they are adjustable so you can get the Bilstein ride if you want, and go even harder, or keep it stock-like by running less compression damping. I tried a few different settings and have settled on 6F/5R which is not as stiff as the Bilsteins but noticeably stiffer than the stock (Z71, in my case) shocks.

My follow up question, of which I've also found little info on is how large a tire guys are fitting without any trimming. Again, I don't want to go huge either way. Looks like the stock (18" wheels) are about 31.5", so only 32.5-33" would probably be what I'm looking for, down the road as the tires it came with are nearly new.

My tires are Duratracs, 275/70R18, which are 33.19". I'm running 18x9 +18 offset wheels. This setup required extensive trimming at both the front and rear of the front wheel wells. But there is absolutely no rubbing whether turning or fully compressed. I was originally running these same tires on stock wheels and that required moderate trimming. You can't go up in tire size much at all without needing to trim. It greatly depends on exactly which tire you pick (some run larger than spec, some run smaller) and what wheels you are putting them on. But I don't think you are going to be able to go bigger than 32" without trimming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3