Catalytic Converter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
George, earlier I had read about heating that nut up with a propane torch so I bought one at Lowes a few hours ago. I got up there and heated one nut up until it was slightly glowing red and tried again and it will not move. I've been trying to be very careful but I can feel the corners of that nut rounding over. I've tried every 15mm socket I have and they're all the same. They all just feel slightly too large because of the play. It was like that before I even started but worse now. I'm thinking I might need to use a nut splitter to get it off now...uggg. Thanks for the reply!

which ones you working on? If its the manifold studs You will need to get that nut cherry red to almost orange. The torch I shared will help you concentrate heat on the nut first leaving the stud slightly cooler. Use a 6 point socket.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
get it glowing bright, as hot as your torch can get it, or stop when you see it deform, melt or bubble, and hit it with the impact. run a rethreader on the studs, and get new nuts to go back on
It is originally a 15. if it’s wilted down from rust enough, I’ve used a 9/16 on a rare few.

Yes, a 9/16 might work. I would still be gun shy of an impact tho. I would be afraid of twisting it off as I have several times. Then you need to replace the stud.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you M. I got it as red as I could. Those nuts weren't that rusty either so I don't know why a 15mm didn't fight tight on them. Maybe my Craftsmen sockets are larger than normal or something.
Are you using a 12pt or a 6pt socket. I like the 6pt when I need to torque on stuff. Get a little more bite on the hex.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which ones you working on? If its the manifold studs You will need to get that nut cherry red to almost orange. The torch I shared will help you concentrate heat on the nut first leaving the stud slightly cooler. Use a 6 point socket.

Well, that's what I probably did wrong. It as red, but not glowing red. I'll go by Home Depot tomorrow and pick one of those up. Thank you for the suggestion. Now that's is stripped though I guess I'll try to get some vice grips on it. Thankfully it's all easy to get to. I'm going to pull the front driveshaft off tomorrow and I'll have full access to it.

I bought a 6-point socket while I was at Lowes but it was just as lose (maybe even a little more) than my other sockets. Maybe I need to try another brand.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Yes, a 9/16 might work. I would still be gun shy of an impact tho. I would be afraid of twisting it off as I have several times. Then you need to replace the stud.

Where I eventually landed was, give em a quick bump, if they don’t go pretty easy, jump up to significant heat, and run em out in 1 shot with an impact. Seems like I’m more likely to have trouble if I’m reheating. Also wondered if I put more of a side load on it if I try by hand

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surely going to heat the next five up, but now I have to deal with this one that's stripped out. I really appreciate all the advice from you guys. Here's what I'm dealing with now.

20200217_221322.jpg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You could try to see if a 9/16 fits on it. On occasion I have been able to pound one onto a nut like that. Just use one that you don’t mind damaging. Have it orange hot first and work fast.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya ive gotten those nuts off intact and its looked worse than that. half joking but you are going the ring way right? counterclockwise. might be able to get a nut/stud extractor on there. might be easier than getting a nut splitter on it. definitely dont use those multi point sockets when your tinkering with your own vehicle. handful of vehicle bolts are somewhat vehicle specific and if you bust them up you could end up waiting around just for a bolt to finish a project.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you break a stud you can just drill it out and use a through bolt and nut.

In the pic the end of the stud has a 6 point on it so you can use a socket to hold it while you use a 6 point wrench on the nut.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you break a stud you can just drill it out and use a through bolt and nut.

In the pic the end of the stud has a 6 point on it so you can use a socket to hold it while you use a 6 point wrench on the nut.

I'm really hoping I can get those off without breaking them. I'm going to try at least. I've ordered a set of bolt/nut extractors. The strange thing about buying those is that most kits skip the 15mm. I don't get that. Every kit has a 14mm and 16mm but they skip right over it.

The plan is to get that thing cherry red, put on the nut extractor and turn counterclockwise. (I have second-guessed myself about a thousand times on the direction.) lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269