Carven muffler, and third cat delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a Carven R series muffler and the SLP resonator delete tip. Should be here at the end of the week. I’ll be replacing my magnaflow 12589. Its just way to quiet for me. But while I’m at it I thought what the hell! Lets see if I can cut that third cat out as well for a little extra sound. I’ll be doing the work myself as I’m am a welder. I’m thinking I can just curlt it out and slap some 3” pipe in place of it. But before I do the cat delete I figured I would get some possible feedback from anyone who may have done this already? Truck is a 12 tahoe 5.3l 4x4. I will eventually probably go long tubes and stainless dual rear exit but for now this will do. That stuff will have to wait for the afm delete and texas speed cam swap

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a Carven R series muffler and the SLP resonator delete tip. Should be here at the end of the week. I’ll be replacing my magnaflow 12589. Its just way to quiet for me. But while I’m at it I thought what the hell! Lets see if I can cut that third cat out as well for a little extra sound. I’ll be doing the work myself as I’m am a welder. I’m thinking I can just curlt it out and slap some 3” pipe in place of it. But before I do the cat delete I figured I would get some possible feedback from anyone who may have done this already? Truck is a 12 tahoe 5.3l 4x4. I will eventually probably go long tubes and stainless dual rear exit but for now this will do. That stuff will have to wait for the afm delete and texas speed cam swap

I am curious about the "3rd cat".

I have an '08 and it didn't come with one.

I am curious because I have heard some people say it is a 3rd cat and others claim it is some kind of resonator. They cite the lack of O2 sensors in front of or behind it as proving that it's not a 3rd cat.. which makes some sense but I'm not sure.

Anyway be sure to keep us posted as to what you find and how it all turns out.

I too am waiting on my muffler to come in but I am trying to go quieter... lol

Removing the 2 main cats makes for a very loud truck just FYI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
I am curious about the "3rd cat".

I have an '08 and it didn't come with one.

I am curious because I have heard some people say it is a 3rd cat and others claim it is some kind of resonator. They cite the lack of O2 sensors in front of or behind it as proving that it's not a 3rd cat.. which makes some sense but I'm not sure.

Anyway be sure to keep us posted as to what you find and how it all turns out.

I too am waiting on my muffler to come in but I am trying to go quieter... lol

Removing the 2 main cats makes for a very loud truck just FYI.
That is a very good point. I really dont know what it is. I had my exhaust disconnected and Y-pipe off when I did my trans rebuild and saw a honeycomb type shield at the exit port. Same as the two primary cats. I just assumed it was. I would be happy to find out though. I work at a custom fab shop and can open it up to see whats inside. It is going to be interesting replacing it though as the entrance port is 3.5” and the exit is 3”. Oh well I’ll figure it out. I’ll post picks when all is said and done. Will be either this weekend or next depending how much free time I get.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that GMT900 year 2009 and up have three cats, whereas prior years have two.

I put a Magnaflow 12589 on my ‘08 and installed SLP Delete kit, and it’s throaty enough for me. :)

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that GMT900 year 2009 and up have three cats, whereas prior years have two.

I put a Magnaflow 12589 on my ‘08 and installed SLP Delete kit, and it’s throaty enough for me. :)

Yeah, I knew it was an '09+ thing, just wasn't sure if it was actually a cat.

My original and replacement do have have a honeycomb media that looks like a cat. The scrap man paid me as if it was a cat.

Like I said the only argument I have heard against it being a cat is the lack of O2 sensors around it. Perhaps GM figured that by the time the exhaust got to the 3rd cat that the first 2 cats would have already cleaned it up enough to not be a problem for it and didn't feel the need to have an 02 sensor to monitor the cat efficiency.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely a catalytic converter...I remember my first car, a 1996 Mustang GT, had 6 cats on the stock H Pipe, but to your point the downstream O2s were located after the last cats, it was a heavy SOB

pIVfXIi.jpg

OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
Ok its done. I’ve decided to leave the cat because the truck is plenty loud enough for now haha. Will upload a video of before and after later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting the feeling I may have gone a little to far .
Oh well I’m sure I’ll get ised to it.

View attachment 218301

So, where's the Carven muffler? ;)

Ok its done. I’ve decided to leave the cat because the truck is plenty loud enough for now haha. Will upload a video of before and after later tonight or tomorrow.

I bet there's a pretty noticeable difference haha.
Lookin forward to hearing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh