Cargo bags/carriers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
recently went on a trip with 7 people and it was a disaster space wise with all the bags so I was wonder what everyone is using for extra space? I'm thinking more of a waterproof cargo bag that goes on the roof

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
recently went on a trip with 7 people and it was a disaster space wise with all the bags so I was wonder what everyone is using for extra space? I'm thinking more of a waterproof cargo bag that goes on the roof
We use a Thule Evolution on top of our XL. It is sealed and easy to mount. Have gone through some heavy rains a with it and had no problem with leaks. If shopping for one, I’d recommend one that can be opened from either side of the vehicle. I borrowed my brothers old X-cargo that was hinged at the front and that was kind of a pain to get stuff in and out of.

Reaction score
Don't forget that the roof racks have like a 200lb limit.

When we used to travel with the 2001 Yukon, I bought one of those carriers that attached to the hitch.

With the XL we haven't needed it, plenty of room behind the 3rd row.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the roof racks have like a 200lb limit.

When we used to travel with the 2001 Yukon, I bought one of those carriers that attached to the hitch.

With the XL we haven't needed it, plenty of room behind the 3rd row.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
that's the flat basket looking one?

Reaction score
that's the flat basket looking one?
Yeah, about 4-6" deep and about 50"x20". They make them in aluminum also to save weight and make it easier to handle. Great for hauling things you don't want to put inside too.

We've bungied/strapped down suite cases and coolers to it, and if it looks like rain we wrap a tarp over everything before straping down.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, about 4-6" deep and about 50"x20". They make them in aluminum also to save weight and make it easier to handle. Great for hauling things you don't want to put inside too.

We've bungied/strapped down suite cases and coolers to it, and if it looks like rain we wrap a tarp over everything before straping down.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
We have used one of those a few times as well. Have a set of large waterproof totes that we bought to use with it. Worked well. Sometimes with a family of six you just need to have a lot of cargo space so we have had to use both the roof and hitch carriers along with inside space.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think im gonna have to use a bag cause I don't have space to keep a hitch mount or totes. with a bag I could just wrap it up when not in use and throw it in the closet or under the bed. but if I use a bag on the roof and it's not completely full will it be flapping round in the wind the whole time? I would get a very large bag just in case but not if it's gonna be making noise the whole time

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think im gonna have to use a bag cause I don't have space to keep a hitch mount or totes. with a bag I could just wrap it up when not in use and throw it in the closet or under the bed. but if I use a bag on the roof and it's not completely full will it be flapping round in the wind the whole time? I would get a very large bag just in case but not if it's gonna be making noise the whole time

Pick one up off Craigslist and sell it when you're done with it. Stuff on the roof kills mileage near as much as towing a travel trailer. Pete on here uses a little utility trailer for his trips to Florida from the Big Apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz