Can you turn off Auto Shutdown (eco mode)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ct Pirate

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to turn off the "auto shut down" (eco mode) option when at a stop light? I hit the button to disable when I get in but it's a PITA in my opinion. Thanks in advance

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit the button every time I get in.

Yeah it sucks, but I've had my 2021 now for about 3 years and are very used to it to the point where you can see the button has some wear to it.

Reaction score
I just hit the button every time I get in.

Yeah it sucks, but I've had my 2021 now for about 3 years and are very used to it to the point where you can see the button has some wear to it.
Ha! Me too! Right index finger to the start button, after release, left index finger to the "auto shut down" button. It's to the point now where I don't even need to think about it!

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a mechanical reason for turning off the auto shut down mode? Seems like it could bear out your starter.. but what do I know? I don't mind it, but seems like it might eventually cause an issue

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a mechanical reason for turning off the auto shut down mode? Seems like it could bear out your starter.. but what do I know? I don't mind it, but seems like it might eventually cause an issue
Certainly the starter is more robust than a "standard" starter - but given that like any mechanical component - it has a service life, the less times you spin it, the longer it will last.

Pretty good info here regarding start-stop systems and what all goes into it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system

Ultimately it's a system that helps the manufacturers get to their CAFE mandates. The actual benefit to the end user depends on your situation. If you live in LA and sit at traffic lights that can last up to 180 seconds, you'll see some fuel economy benefit. In my driving environment I rarely am stopped for much more than 30 seconds and the times that it stops the engine and I'm able to go a second or two later is a really jarring experience. My wife hates it and I'm not much of a fan either, so I installed the ASE harness and haven't dealt with the system since then.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a CAFE gimmick to raise the average fuel economy by a fraction of a mpg. It's plain idiotic in my book. Yes, it does create more wear - starter, battery, fuel pump, and probably engine components in the long run. Not to mention, it's a system that bypasses all previous factory safety measures and let's the vehicle START IN GEAR. How long before something glitches out and a car runs someone over.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10