Can you open your lift gate while your truck is parked in your garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a silly question.

My 02 would allow me to pull into my garage and open the trunk to unload the groceries.

My 2015 would not. I had to temporarily park outside in the snow and rain to unload everything. If I opened the lift gate in my garage it would partially open and the third brake light over hang would smash into my garage.

I'm looking to get an 07-14. I'd like it to be something that is practical like my 02. I know this is a silly question. With how much these cars cost, I want it to be convenient for my wife.

Thank you.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My garage let's me fully open the hatch on my 15... you must have a small space

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
The only way to know if you can open it in your garage is to either physically try it out or measure the max height on the garage door and the top of the lift gate. Everyones garage is different and even their truck would be different. Tires, tire pressure and rim choice can affect the ride height as well. Suspension mods too.

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in half way. Open hatch. Unload groceries. Close hatch. Finish backing in. Close garage. My tried and true method for my tight garage

OP
OP
M

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test drove an 08 Escalade. I believe the tallness of the 4x4 Tahoe combined with the hatch design made it unuseable in our garage. The previous Escalade was perfectly fine. In the new Escalade my wife can actually reach through the rear glass if needed. Also, the rear captains chairs and push button chair folding make it easy to get into the back from the front.

This will probably solve the problem of having to unload the car out of the garage in the rain. (Or having to pull it into the garage later while worrying about a toddler who is now unbuckled.)

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Back in half way. Open hatch. Unload groceries. Close hatch. Finish backing in. Close garage. My tried and true method for my tight garage
Yea that's something I'd like to avoid. There are full size SUVs that will fit in my garage. The 2015 4x4 Tahoe just happens to not be one of these.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
lower it...a nice 2/4 drop allows mine to open anywhere in the garage!!

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
On my '13 the hatch will fully open with the vehicle completely in the garage.

OP
OP
M

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This issue, among other things, were annoying about the 2015 Tahoe. It has been sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269