Can you open your lift gate while your truck is parked in your garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsm1995gst

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got my wife a '14 XL a couple of days ago and I've found that it does hit the garage door when opened. However if it's lined up right it hits the little soft rubber trim piece around the garage door and doesn't leave a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my wife a '14 XL a couple of days ago and I've found that it does hit the garage door when opened. However if it's lined up right it hits the little soft rubber trim piece around the garage door and doesn't leave a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's cool. I try to get it where the chrome badge on my tailgate hits the wood trim.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Car in the garage? NEVERRRR!!!!

I don't use my garage for my vehicles. That's my man cave. It's got my bench, tools, gear, ammo corner, heavy bag, etc. If the weather's bad I will pull my Tahoe or motorcycle in to work on it but then it's right back outside with them. Heck, they're pretty much water proof. Yes, the wife complains but it's been fifteen years since we put a car in the garage. It's a two car+ garage BTW. A man's got to put his foot down. For the record, the wife and kids have the rest of the house. It's just me and Mac, fending for ourselves. Lol.

Attachments

• mackie boy.jpg
    mackie boy.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 9

kramerica20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may seem trivial but good info to have, thanks for posting......wondering what OP went to or went back to?

OP
OP
M

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may seem trivial but good info to have, thanks for posting......wondering what OP went to or went back to?
Went back to an NNBS Escalade. Love the options, 403hp, captains chairs and increased space in back.

The seats can be removed in the old body style, in the 2015 they fold down. It's less like a truck and more like a trunk in the new ones. I'm not a fan.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

kramerica20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went back to an NNBS Escalade. Love the options, 403hp, captains chairs and increased space in back.

The seats can be removed in the old body style, in the 2015 they fold down. It's less like a truck and more like a trunk in the new ones. I'm not a fan.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the additional info, says alot....I would have thought the fold down seats are a welcomed redesign. My 3rd row seats have never been used, but I've often thought it would be nice to have the option. However, your first hand experience and feedback is very helpful/interesting. Thanks again.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I don't pull my vehicle all the way to the front of the interior of the garage when parking, the lower edge of the rear tailgate of my 2010 Chevy Tahoe touches the rubber trim on the frame of the garage opening when I open the rear tailgate with the garage door up, and that is 82.25 inches from ground level to the rubber trim. No damage to the Tahoe, no damage to the garage door, and no damage to the garage door opening.

Last edited:

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Mine fits with the garage door closed and open, but I found out the hard way not to open or close the garage door while the gate is up. I now have a deep scratch running from just above the license plate all the way up to the plastic handle on the rear glass from the arm that's attached to the garage door. With the garage door open the arm sits over the roof and when closed it's far enough away from the gate but, it travels in the path of the gate when opening or closing. :banghead:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts