Can’t figure out why my new pulley is doing this with a new belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i meant when you installed the new pulley, if you happened to see if the water pump pulley had residue on it as well. It could be transferring from that pulley onto your new idler. Water pump pulley is the large pulley below the idler you replaced that also rides on back side of belt.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i meant when you installed the new pulley, if you happened to see if the water pump pulley had residue on it as well. It could be transferring from that pulley onto you new one. Water pump pulley is the large pulley under the idler you replaced that also rides on back side of belt.
So what am I looking for again if the belts are rubbing against each other or something

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a wearing the paint off.. pulleys used to have a non-painted belt area. Manufacturers have made the process easier for them and just paint the whole thing. Nothing to be worried about.

If it was driving a waterpump, then the paint can cause slippage and noise. Pretty common on 8.1L replacement pumps. I've had to emery cloth off the paint on generators because they would squeal, slip, and cause the belt to get super hot.

You could remove it and sand off the paint if it makes you feel better about it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's going to wear eventually that's just a coating, how fast it wears I don't know. Last one I had on wore out in nothing flat the current one has taken at least a couple years to get like this
pull.jpg

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like rubber residue from old belt to me. either way, i agree, dont worry about it!

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not to worry and it looks like the wear pattern matches where the lettering is on the belt. Drive it, should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01