Buying used 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the site. I've been reading some old threads today and thought I might ask some specific, targeted questions that I am hoping you all might be able to help me out with.

Former 2x Yukon owner really looking to get back into this vehicle or a Tahoe. I prefer a 2015 over a 2014 strongly due to the new Interior, body style and the fold flat 3rd row, among other things.

Here are my questions.

1. My capital is looking like it's going to be approx 46.5k before state taxes, title and plates. I strongly prefer the Yukon to the Tahoe but willing to look at both. These options are non negotiable for me: SLT/LT trim, 4x4, Nav, remote start, power liftgate. Really want: Rear DVD

I am pretty sure I can find a Tahoe LT in this range with < 20k miles. I see many listings in this range. Do you think I can find a Yukon SLT for this price with similar mileage? Most are listed for around 50 with the options that I want on all of the standard sites - autotrader, cars.com, ebaymotors, etc. I have not bought used in 15+ years so I have no idea how true the prices listed are to where the sale actually ends up. Most used listings are through dealers.

2. What is the main difference between the 2015i and the 2015? I take it it is the 8 spd vs. the 6 spd. What is the benefit here for me of the 8 spd? I am not a driving enthusiast. I don't really care what's beneath the hood to be honest. This is a vehicle for me to drive my kids and dog around, haul my big ass dog and golf clubs, etc. Is this something I need to consider? Is it even a possibility for me to get a used 2015i in my price range of either model?

3. Big concern. I have done quite a bit of reading and I know some inside unsavory characters to the dealership world. As mentioned earlier, most used listings out there are through dealers. I don't trust dealerships one iota. Understand that I can send an independent mechanic/inspector in to look at a vehicle, but what I am really worried about are these dealerships dialing mileage back after the vehicle comes into their possession. I am currently coming off of a Dodge, and I know with Chrysler they have the DRB III tool where they can plug it in to the vehicles internal computer system and reprogram the mileage and/or see actual mileage on the vehicle. Does such a tool exist for GM vehicles? Is it possible for me to prove out that the odometer on my vehicle hasn't been reprogrammed before I buy?

I am not sure if anyone can answer these. Thought I would throw them out there. I'm so paranoid after reading some of the stuff I have over the past 2-3 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to TYF! As far as the difference in 15 & 15i, for you looking at LT or STL is not much. Only the 6 speed is available unless you go with the Denali with the 6.2l. The entertainment system is a little different also. It changed from the "Mylink" to the "Intellink". I have no idea or say in the dealership side of messing with milage or if that's even possible with the new trucks. Maybe someone can shed some light...

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only real difference is a color matched antenna, the updated intellilink screen, and wireless charging station for the SLT's. The tahoe luxury LT and the tahoe LTZ also get the hands free lift gate while the yukon Denali gets all of the above plus the 8 speed transmission. I have the 2015i and didn't even realize it until yesterday so yea the differences are minimal unless you're out there looking for em (like having a color matched shark fin antenna on your roof means it's a 2015i...). Anyways welcome and good luck with the vehicle search!

OP
OP
WBHMSU

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the insight! Anywhere I can do a quick study on the Intellilink update? I assume we're talking UI?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to capacitative multi touch so more then just UI. I have the new one and never missed with the 2015D version so I can't really compare em. All I know is I love it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881