Buying more tools to fix my Tahoe what do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pitman arm puller will work.
For tie rods it may be a bit big. But you can also buy the same thing for tie rods. Seems like parts stores only have foreign car tie rod pullers in stock though.

What do you have for basic tools?
A flair nut wrench is not 100% needed, but will make it harder to strip the nuts.
This is what I did and what I tell other people to do.

Starting with nothing. Buy a set. (this can turn into the truck set)
You can do basic with that.
Then buy a set of metric sockets when you get paid, next pay check standard, then wrenches, etc....

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVerything is metric. Although some imperial is equivalent.

I've done well with a cheap set of wrenches. However I notice periodically they fitment can be poor. Like the guys above say, you get what you pay for.

MOst importantly if you want it to last only use it as intended.

Jack, jack stands. Oil drain pan, Oil filter wrench, breaker bar, 1/2'' drive breaker bar, good set of sockets and ratchets as well as good mixture of extension and u-joints. A decent flood light or two, (maybe LED so you dont need to replace bulb everytime you bump the cheap halogen ones.) A good ball pean hammer is a MUST. and when you need a hammer get the hammer. Like i said makes everything eevrything else last longer.
What else...Cheater pipe for sleeving over your breaker bar for this hard bolts/nuts. A good pair of gloves so you dont pinch your fingers when going HAM on a bolt. also get black latex gloves, look sweet and keep you clean and everything else cleaner later. 12 volt test light and a digital multi meter. Magnetic tray to hold stuff youve take away hardware wise. GREASE gun. OH! get a set of the ratcheting stubby wrenches! lifesaver.

thats all i can think of for now.

YES yes poor grammar oh well.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Good luck man and have fun although your probably already are, sounds like your having a good time repairing your truck!

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on craigslist, you can get some good quality stuff for a descent price. However, I personally have a big mix of tools. Lots of Craftsman and lots of HF, and for the most part the HF is descent, but I've had a few things that are pretty cheap and didn't work well, such as a cast ball joint separator that fractured when it broke the ball joint loose.

One of my favorite tools is the stubby ratcheting box end wrenches. I got them from Northern Tool, don't remember the brand, but they are great, and I use them all the time. I want to get a good set of full length ratcheting box end wrenches next.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Racheting wrenches are a lifesaver. I have a set made by Gearwrench. If you can't afford a whole set, at least buy a 1/2 inch, a 10mm, and a 15mm.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
10s 12s 14s 15s 17s 18s most commonly used sizes. I run stanley tools and craftsman here n there. Gonna get mac tools wratchet wrenches soon. Wont touch hf only bad experiances with them. Only thing id use hf for is sand paper n stuff that cant mess up stuff. Dont get their buffers... Crap and messed up my fresh clear on my del sols hood...

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

And for ball joints a ball joint fork and then hammer is all i use. Rented one of them pullers and couldnt get it to work.. nothing like a sledge hammer;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse