Buying advice: 09 Tahoe Hybrid -high mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PomoRick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Tahoe forum. Hoping for some feedback. I came across a 09 Tahoe Hybrid for sale here in Canada (haven't seen many up here). Its got pretty high mileage 180K Miles or 290K kilo's for those north of the border. I know plenty Yukons/Tahoe/GMC's have gone well past this ...but what about hybrids? Any concerns aside from the hybrid battery? (FYI, Hybrid battery was replaced already).
thanks for the advice

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the batteries are in good shape, they are decent trucks. I always recommend to get a 2010 or newer thou. Some revisions happened that made the 2010+ better.

If a battery is bad, it can be 2600 (aftermarket with lifetime warranty) -6000 (GM OEM, with no warranty) to replace.

I almost bought one before I bought my Esky. On the test drive, a warning light came on saying -NO OIL PRESSURE, STOP ENGINE NOW-..

I wasnt buying that!

OP
OP
P

PomoRick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As long as the batteries are in good shape, they are decent trucks. I always recommend to get a 2010 or newer thou. Some revisions happened that made the 2010+ better.

If a battery is bad, it can be 2600 (aftermarket with lifetime warranty) -6000 (GM OEM, with no warranty) to replace.

I almost bought one before I bought my Esky. On the test drive, a warning light came on saying -NO OIL PRESSURE, STOP ENGINE NOW-..

I wasnt buying that!
looks like you dodged a bullet walking away from that one! In the one I'm considering buying, Hybrid battery was replaced in the last year, so that's one less worry about. Anyone else have words of wisdom on Tahoe hybrids with this high mileage?

Marc Marc

Reaction score
I just sold my 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid with 211,500 miles on it for $16,000. Sold fast. It was in excellent running condition still, and looked new inside and out. This was easily the best car I ever owned, and wish GM still made this Hybrid. I replaced it with a 2021 Yukon AT4.

Brakes on the Hybrid didn't need replacing, but I did so at 180,000 miles just because. Hybrid battery was replaced at 115K miles. Replaced all suspension items due to wear. Despite the high mileage it didn't consume oil in any noticeable amount, and the transmission continued to be rock solid despite pulling a bass boat to tournaments all over the west coast.

I understand the timing chain could be a problem in the 2010? and earlier models, but didn't have that problem with my 2013.

My dash finally cracked at 210,000 miles (I used a sun shade religiously to prevent cracking) which was another reason I sold mine. Gas mileage was fantastic with a 6L engine; really miss that with my AT4. The Hybrid wheels were ok in the city, but not so good in the snow and mud. This was a big reason for getting a new AT4.

Hope this helps.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like you dodged a bullet walking away from that one! In the one I'm considering buying, Hybrid battery was replaced in the last year, so that's one less worry about. Anyone else have words of wisdom on Tahoe hybrids with this high mileage?

mine has 105,760 on it battery is showing it's age though (2008) the engine side was well maintained by the two previous owners (oil change wise and transmission oil) i did have some hickups here and there with the engine.. i.e sensor that went bad busted spark plug(that got blown apart) bad belt (squeals on start up...)... Oil pressure is excellent it's only burning about 1/4th of a quart or so per oil change.... which is below average... for Active fuel management engines. but I use the Range Tech to disable the AFM ... personally if something major fails i.e transmission or engine I'd just swap in a 4.8L vvt engine/ 6 speed transmission

OP
OP
P

PomoRick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
appreciate the feedback everyone. Appears no real major concerns with high mileage, except hybrid battery. Rest is usual wear n tear on GMC. I'll likely take it on a test drive this weekend, and will report back should I take the leap into GMC hybrid nation.
-last question....what's the 'real world' fuel economy on these trucks? City/Hwy?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real world I dont know..

But per the FuelEconomy.gov website, 2wd has an average of 20 city, 22 hwy, 21 total average, and 4x4 is city/hwy/combined of 20.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pomo- I have a different take - RUN FOREST RUN....these are nothing but trouble long term. When something goes wrong, parts are hard to find and you will be stuck.

Good Luck

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
appreciate the feedback everyone. Appears no real major concerns with high mileage, except hybrid battery. Rest is usual wear n tear on GMC. I'll likely take it on a test drive this weekend, and will report back should I take the leap into GMC hybrid nation.
-last question....what's the 'real world' fuel economy on these trucks? City/Hwy?
don't forget to get a AFM disabler the Range tech does work but you have to remove it every drive cycle to allow the correct gear shifting other wise it uses the 'default' M4 profile (buy an on/off switch)

This is how i broke my gear shifter from using m4

the MPG is 18-21 around town
(less if it's very windy or more traffic lights, but that is normal)

on the highway i get about 23.5 to 25.5 in v8 mode( if no wind)

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a 2014 Cadillac Escalade Platinum Hybrid for sale here in Denver.. the seller wants 37k for it. And it has 32k miles. If it was in the lower 20s, I would consider it, but for 37k? I can get a 2022 SUV that gets better mileage for a bit more, with warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz