Buying a Truck With a Blown Head Gasket...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s where I’m kind of stuck lol. I’d much prefer to get a gmt800 truck but there’re super expensive where I live. But I do need a truck with a bed, and it being a 3/4 ton is a plus. I was going to do the whole copart thing but they don’t have that many solid trucks and I don’t really want to deal with a non clear title

Don't discount getting one from out of town where they will cost less. Many of us have saved a bundle that way, including the travel expenses.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically if the oil is discolored/milky the motor is 100% going to be bad is what I'm hearing. I'm just asking this more in general than anything, but I may be looking at a 1996 dodge 2500 with a 5.9 magnum and a blown head gasket. Dude wants to trade for my 20x14's. So the net cost for me is $850, and the truck is fairly clean. As far as I know it hasn't been extensively driven on the bad head gasket. And if worst comes to worst it comes with an extra engine but the history on it is unknown. I know this doesn't exactly relate to anything here but other forums haven't been any help at all lol and the info online has been spotty at best.

Chances are the heads are cracked, so add that to your repair cost/negotiation. EQ heads are the go-to replacements

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ( since sold ) '88 GMC C2500 had a 350cid. At 220,000 it had bad valve seals ( at least that).

The cost of a good pair of heads / R&R, .... I elected to get a crate motor 4-bolt main engine for a couple hundred bucks more than replacing the heads. ( I sold the truck at almost 400,000 ).

I had fun cleaning the engine area & stuff for a week, but the engine replacement took a weekend.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When a head gasket has failed, you know there is a reason it did. Usually that will be a cooling system problem that caused the engine to over heat, so expect to have to replace the radiator, water pump and thermostat. That will probably run you about $250 in parts.
As to damage to engine- there is no telling. I would gamble on the engine being ok, but you may end up with engine blow by due to piston rings having lost their spring strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy

Latest posts