Build your own roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I carry a 16 foot canoe on my Tahoe but I just don't trust the factory rack for putting that much stress on it... I also do not like how high all the aftermarket racks are because the extra height adds to the aerodynamic drag and reduced MPG. Plus many of the aftermarket ones use plastic on the attachment points too.

So being the guy I am I decided to make my own. I found some cromoly steel from an airplane wing strut that is tear dropped shaped like a wing so it will be less likely to create wind noise. I cut two pieces of angle iron and welded them to the struts and bent the angle pieces to fit the angle of the stock side rails.

I am designing a set of quick disconnect inserts to go inside of the side rails so I will be able to remove or adjust the rails quickly in the future. For now I just drilled the side rails to mount them.

My rails are over an inch lower than the stock ones and much stronger and a little lighter too.
Canoe rack compare.jpg

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the new rails on the left and stock one on the right. The end pieces will be modified later after I install the quick disconnect inserts I am having machined up. You can see how much lower they are than a stock set.

Tahoe rack raw.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Here they are mounted up with a set of Yakima Keel Over Canoe carrier mounting brackets on top. I have one more cross bar (not installed) so I can install an observation platform, rack or tent on top. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the side rails for mounting and used a 1/4 in stainless bolt and lock nut.

Canoe rack painted.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
And now with a canoe on top it sits nice and low to the roof. With this set up I was still getting up to 17 MPG this is only around 1 MPG less than what I normally get with nothing on the top.

Canoe rack.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
After 200 miles at 70 mph it is still there. This is in Hat creek Ca. camp grounds just outside of Mount Lassen National park.

If you are wondering why there is a tire floating back there it is because I have a swing out tire rack on the back.

Canoe rack3.jpg

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well done! that looks great, i love to see DIY mods that look factory.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done, sir. If my Tahoe was 4WD, it'd be damned-near a clone of yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues