Broken Transmission Shift Linkage Cable Bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali12

Reaction score
This bushing broke on me about 5 months ago. I bought a replacement bushing from bushing fix & was good until the new bushing broke apart. Bushing fix sent me a free replacement as they give a lifetime warranty, but I can't have this thing go out on me every 5 months. Saw another member who bought the new lower cable & popped out the GM bushing then popped it into the cable on the truck. I copied this plan & all looks good. I put the replacement from bushingfix in the glove box in case the new bushing fails. Hopefully this solves the problem permanently.

Does anyone know why the bushing fails? Is there likely another issue that I'm overlooking?

IMG_6513.jpg IMG_6512.jpg IMG_6514.jpg IMG_6508.jpg IMG_6509.jpg

Last edited:

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a common failure point across multiple GM vehicles.

I have a spare (new) cable but haven't felt like putting it on yet. When my factory bushing failed I drilled out the inside of the linkage just a bit (there's a small ridge/lip 1/2 way through the eye) and then used a generic snap-in bushing for like $1.29 from the Help section of the auto parts store. Been working find for over a year now and I have a spare generic pushing in the console just in case.

swat2380

Reaction score
I have the bushingfix piece still in the bag as a backup. Ended up ziptying everything while waiting for it's arrival and it hasn't let go yet lol. Probably better than OEM or the bushingfix piece that seems breakage prone

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This bushing broke on me about 5 months ago. I bought a replacement bushing from bushing fix & was good until the new bushing broke apart. Bushing fix sent me a free replacement as they give a lifetime warranty, but I can't have this thing go out on me every 5 months. Saw another member who bought the new lower cable & popped out the GM bushing then popped it into the cable on the truck. I copied this plan & all looks good. I put the replacement from bushingfix in the glove box in case the new bushing fails. Hopefully this solves the problem permanently.

Does anyone know why the bushing fails? Is there likely another issue that I'm overlooking?
Don't park on hills.
Apply the parking brake before shifting it into park (make sure it WORKS) even on flat land

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This bushing broke on me about 5 months ago. ...Does anyone know why the bushing fails?

Do you always use your parking brake, properly? If the parking brake is not on, the shifter has to overcome the weight of the truck to move into gear and that bushing takes the brunt of it,as does the parking pawl.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
Do you always use your parking brake, properly? If the parking brake is not on, the shifter has to overcome the weight of the truck to move into gear and that bushing takes the brunt of it,as does the parking pawl.
My driveway is no doubt on a slight incline. I'm pretty good about setting the brake before I let off the brake, but my wife is also behind the wheel sometimes... We all know how that goes

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
This same bushing went out on my 05 Trailblazer. I remember installing an aftermarket part on the TB that was metal. Not sure why someone hasn't come up with this for our trucks? I'm going to see if I can find it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160