Broken exhaust manifold bolt, in head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have a good way or a good small drill they recommend in drilling out a broken exhaust manifold bolt that broke off in the head?

the bolt in question is the driver side, rear most bolt.. its flush with the head so i cant weld a nut onto it.

Really really REALLY, dont want to have to pull the head to do this.. wondering if people know of a really small drill or compact drill i can use to get to this so get use a reverse bit/easy out on it..

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is leaking, and the sound is driving me nuts

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have access to a 90 degree air or electric ratchet? Put a socket on it the size of a hex base drill bit like on a 1/4 impact. Or can you weld a nub on the bolt a few times until you have enough metal to add a bolt head?

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to fix it on the truck is not going to be easy. Depending on the year of your truck some auto parts stores have Manifold to cyl head clamps to fix leaks caused by broken manifold bolts.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i cant put anything on it, its flush with the head,

Jonnytahoe, ive heard of these but only found ones for LS engines... ive got a 96 2dr tahoe.. would love to find that fix, i have pacesetter headers now on the truck.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
yeah i cant put anything on it, its flush with the head,

Jonnytahoe, ive heard of these but only found ones for LS engines... ive got a 96 2dr tahoe.. would love to find that fix, i have pacesetter headers now on the truck.
It's a Dorman part, maybe you can check their site.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can weld to the flush bolt, weld wont stick to the AL head material. weld a few small blobs on it then use pliers to take it out. theres vids of this on yt.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm... guys, this is a 96 truck.. NOT aluminum headed LS... this has IRON heads... ive stated the year twice.. the bolt is actually about 1/8'' into the head as well so there is no welding anything to it..

ive searched and searched and no one makes an exhaust manifold repair flange for our year trucks.. only thing left to do is to make one..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk