Brake switch issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarenZ71

Reaction score
Hello all...again lol. Just wanting to see if someone may have an idea of what I got going on. So I recently replaced the brake booster. It is a salvaged part so I may just buy a new one soon but for now it works ok.

But problem is now my brake light, ABS light and cruise does not work. I tried cleaning the switch but at one connection looks as it may have got hot kinda burnt looking on the plastic. So I cleaned it up and still has all these lights on.

Either it being plugged in or not makes no difference. I checked the brake and cruse fuse and they are good. Could it just be I need a new switch or could it be another issue all together?

Thanks all as always

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all...again lol. Just wanting to see if someone may have an idea of what I got going on. So I recently replaced the brake booster. It is a salvaged part so I may just buy a new one soon but for now it works ok.

But problem is now my brake light, ABS light and cruise does not work. I tried cleaning the switch but at one connection looks as it may have got hot kinda burnt looking on the plastic. So I cleaned it up and still has all these lights on.

Either it being plugged in or not makes no difference. I checked the brake and cruse fuse and they are good. Could it just be I need a new switch or could it be another issue all together?

Thanks all as always
cruise will not work if the brake or abs is not working properly, so just rule cruise out until the other issue's are addressed
I would try and check for abs/brake codes to get a better idea of what is happening rather than guessing.
code reader has to be able to read ABS, ABS is not a obd code, although it is read thru the obd port interface.

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
cruise will not work if the brake or abs is not working properly, so just rule cruise out until the other issue's are addressed
I would try and check for abs/brake codes to get a better idea of what is happening rather than guessing.
code reader has to be able to read ABS, ABS is not a obd code, although it is read thru the obd port interface.
@Doubeleive Ok, I'll try that out for sure. Thanks alot

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
Update: So I just realized the brake booster I just replaced is leaking at the split, from the bottom.

I went to Autozone and used the scan tool. It came back with these codes:

(If possible please let me know what you guys think. I will attach file)

Attachments

• 20231028_104330.jpg
    20231028_104330.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 5

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: So I just realized the brake booster I just replaced is leaking at the split, from the bottom.

I went to Autozone and used the scan tool. It came back with these codes:

(If possible please let me know what you guys think. I will attach file)
based on the codes and unknown vehicle history, mileage and previous maintenance then it looks like it may be time for a left front hub.
but.... you could swap the front wheel abs sensors move the left one to the right side and move the right one to the left side and see if the code follows.
if it does then you may only need a abs sensor.
there could be other issue's also but it looks like the left front is the problem, verify first (as noted above) before just throwing parts or money at it.

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
based on the codes and unknown vehicle history, mileage and previous maintenance then it looks like it may be time for a left front hub.
but.... you could swap the front wheel abs sensors move the left one to the right side and move the right one to the left side and see if the code follows.
if it does then you may only need a abs sensor.
there could be other issue's also but it looks like the left front is the problem, verify first (as noted above) before just throwing parts or money at it.
@Doubeleive OK sure will give this a shot next. It's raining right now pretty good so works on pause for the moment.

The C0265 lead me to start looking into the brake module. I cleaned some of the grounds (under driver side door, on the firewall and hood). Have not got to block just yet but will asap.

Would you think the brake module from these codes? The tahoe currently has 1,000,000 miles on it currently...lmbo jk but close. It shows 275K. With maintenance I try to do my best. The ABS has came on and off throught the years for a second but has never stayed on. I've replaced that LT hub some years ago so it could be time again.

It's just wierd to me that after I replaced the booster those lights came on. Not even right after, it was a few days later.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive OK sure will give this a shot next. It's raining right now pretty good so works on pause for the moment.

The C0265 lead me to start looking into the brake module. I cleaned some of the grounds (under driver side door, on the firewall and hood). Have not got to block just yet but will asap.

Would you think the brake module from these codes? The tahoe currently has 1,000,000 miles on it currently...lmbo jk but close. It shows 275K. With maintenance I try to do my best. The ABS has came on and off throught the years for a second but has never stayed on. I've replaced that LT hub some years ago so it could be time again.

It's just wierd to me that after I replaced the booster those lights came on. Not even right after, it was a few days later.
it's showing a open circuit so it could "maybe" just be the sensor or sensor wire harness, if it got pinched or torn while working on it that could be a cause, but I would try swapping sides and see what happens before dropping any money on parts, get the abs error resolved first then dig deeper if other codes are still present.

if the code follows the sensor then grab a new sensor they are typically about $25

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
Would you happen to know the difference between these 2 fuses?

Attachments

• 20231028_172913.jpg
    20231028_172913.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 4

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both are JCase fuses rated at 60A. The one on the right might be blown based on the foggy bits inside, but it might be okay (hard to tell from the pic). If they are both good, they should be interchangeable. Other than color and status, they're the same.

If one came out of the fusebox, which one was removed out of which socket/position?

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
The blown fuse came out of the box and the purple colored one is the fuse I purchased from autozone. I put the new one in and noticed the ebrake (red light) came off but the abs stayed on. In less than a min I shut it off, lifted the hood and smelled wire burning and smoke coming up from the bottom. I pulled the fuse and it was HOT very hot. Did not start after that only made clicking noises. So back to square 1 w/ electric issues.

Thank you guys for all the help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to really have to dig into this. I took a look at the abs sensors and they looked ok. It's been raining all day so I was going to wait for a dry day coming up to work with them. I looked at the abs fuse and saw it was blown so just thought I'd change it. Just didn't expect a short or something like this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts