Brake pedal sensitivity/cruise control issue with 2007 Yukon XL 1500 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheeverm1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had been having an issue with cruise control on my 2007 Yukon XL SLT 1500 where it would hit a bump and turn off or wouldn't come on unless the pedal was tapped on the side a couple times. Had read that this might be an issue with the brake light switch so i replaced it. Quick easy job but the issue did not resolve. I have now noticed that the middle brake light in the back will often 'stick' on and the cruise control won't come on unless i manually reach under and jiggle the pedal switch. I'm not sure where to go from here but it does seem like it is overly sensitive (i.e. when i get the cruise control on and hit a small road bump it will shut off). Any help on what to take a look at (and more importantly where it is located) is much apprecitated!

Mike

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like there is excess play in the pedal assembly.

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that the problem is that the brake switch is going bad. I had the same issue with my '08 Denali. Bought a new switch from GM for $22 and no more issues

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pedal actuates the switch. Get in there and see how much play the pedal has at top assisted with your hand holding it up and when it's resting on it's own weight. May only need some tightening or repositioning. Ultimately the brake switch is getting hit and canceling the cruise controll and turning on the brake light.

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
movable pedal assy is known to have chaffing concern on harness. Move pedals back and forth to see if can induce. If so tape up harness at chaffed area

Tw1st3dm3ch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a brake pedal position sensor. We replace them all the time at the dealer. The sensor also controls cruise control.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving the other day with my cruise on and hit a pretty decent size bump. It turned my cruise off to. That's the only time this has happened.

Could this be the beginning of this issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thydrick