Brake Line replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished running the back 2 lines and man...that's the worst thing I've ever had to do in all my time working on any car! lol I hope I never have to do that again. Yikes!

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worse than removing a transfer case and transmission? That's my benchmark now. (Haven't tried the heater core benchmark yet... not wanting to try that one.)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... I haven't been on in a while because after the pandemic shutdown I've had to divert my attention to other things. My 2005 Tahoe was running great until this past weekend. Actually, it's still running great but one of the steel brake lines busted so I'm getting ready to replace it.

I've been watching some YouTube and there are some great videos that have been really helpful. My only issue is I can't find a diagram of my Tahoe. Most videos show a single steel line running to a connector close to the spare tire. I have 2 steel lines running back there from my ABS. It's tripped me up because I ordered a kit that supposedly fit but I'm short a line.

Does anyone know why mine is different than everyone else's? Thanks again... Hope everyone is doing well. :)
you sohuld replace all of them including the rubber hoses (defective from the factory)

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just went all through all this recently on our denali, and I agree that getting both lines forward from the rear was the worst part. the first one went in pretty easy, but was too crowded for both to fit, I ended up straitening the "hook" at the end and re bent it after through the forward body mount. the other issue I had as getting the fitting for the left rear tight enough to not leak. ( btw a crows foot from the rear with a wobble extension worked well to reach those fittings) and JL4 seems correct.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After replacing lines, did any of you still have the ABS warning stay on? I've bled all the brake lines and braking works like it did before but it's still throwing that "Service Brake System" and the red brake light is on. Just wonder if it'll catch up and correct itself or I'm supposed to force into a recalibration?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I *might* have found the issue. One of the new lines that I ran is slowly leaking. I tightened it up and it's still leaking after I depressing the brake. Grrrrr.... I hate brakes!!

Thread sealer?

Last edited:

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant he loosen and lube the threads with some sort of approved lube and reseat and try that? I'm not talking a thread sealer but something that might help the threads mate more smoothly. Maybe he's got some rougher threads that are binding.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out that I cross-threaded one of the flexible middle pipes threads. What a pain in the butt to change. I replaced it, bleed all tires and now there isn't anymore leak. It's breaking just like it did before. However, I'm still getting a "Stability System Disabled" and the red brake light is on. I've pulled all the codes but it has nothing about the brakes or ABS. I only have two codes...one is an AC actuator and the other is about the CD player that isn't installed anymore.

Is there a way to recalibrate the ECU or the ABS system? I really feel like it's a false positive that just needs to be cleared. Any recommendations? Thanks again, guys. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu