Brake lights work if pedal pressed from outside not inside... (2006 Tahoe Z71)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fire adept

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, first of all thanks for the great replies. You all are right, it’s the side to side play in the pedal and the fact that you can move the switch by hand. I saw a nut up at the top of the pedal which I thought would tighten up the play in the pedal which it did seem to do. At one point I got about 30 consecutive successful brake light ‘ons’... if you favor the left side of the pedal to push it right and in simultaneously then the lights come on. I can’t for the life of me get it set to where it’s working 100%. I’m pretty positive the switch is installed correctly. Don’t even think you can put it on wrong honestly... still fighting it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first of all thanks for the great replies. You all are right, it’s the side to side play in the pedal and the fact that you can move the switch by hand. I saw a nut up at the top of the pedal which I thought would tighten up the play in the pedal which it did seem to do. At one point I got about 30 consecutive successful brake light ‘ons’... if you favor the left side of the pedal to push it right and in simultaneously then the lights come on. I can’t for the life of me get it set to where it’s working 100%. I’m pretty positive the switch is installed correctly. Don’t even think you can put it on wrong honestly... still fighting it.
you should be able to bend it, just use care so it doesn't break anything

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you place a shim of some sort on it? There are little plastic, dome "feet" used for the feet on electronic devices. They are sticky on the flat side. So place the sticky side on top of the switch. That might solve your problem.

On the other hand, I've never looked at that setup, so I might be off base.

Something else you might do is get a new one that has less play in it.

Just throwing things out there in case something helps.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you place a shim of some sort on it? There are little plastic, dome "feet" used for the feet on electronic devices. They are sticky on the flat side. So place the sticky side on top of the switch. That might solve your problem.

On the other hand, I've never looked at that setup, so I might be off base.

Something else you might do is get a new one that has less play in it.

Just throwing things out there in case something helps.
it's a really bad design by gm, it moves by hand. but a shim of some kind might work if placed in just the right spot.
in my opinion they should have mounted the switch to the pedal arm with some kind of spring so it presses down on the body but they did it the opposite
probably some stupid government safety rule

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork