Brake issue - Your thoughts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm asking this question due to the fact I think I'm getting the bend over treatment. I feel I'm up pretty good in the knowledge of brake repair. Anyways, I blew my center brake line that runs under the gas tank...Yes that sucks (no pun intended). I was not far from Midas (Canadian brake and muffler). He states the tank must be removed...I agree. That the two "Y" line should be replaced. Yup sure...I understand. However he also stated that the two rear calipers are now damaged and must be replaced?? Now I know that when you blow a line caliper/brake pressure drops to zero and the seals return the pistons. He wants 1,600.00. I just want to know...is it possible to screw both calipers when a line blows. Thanks for your feedback. PS. Cut and dry...On brake, line blows.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how that is even feasible, the pistons wouldn't move if there is no pressure, I would ask to see this damage and hell you can get brake parts up there just as cheap as we can you guys make em up there.

OP
OP
greenyukon

greenyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Doubeleive. I've built a few car in my day and never heard of such crap. I just wasn't 100% sure due to the fact I came on to the peddle hard...but still. Yup BS Money grab. Thanks.

MannyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canadian Problem.

We get bent over on everything and still apologize once the deed is done.

@greenyukon If you live close to the border, punch your vin into the ac delco site, get the part number and head over to amazon.com. ship it to a shipping post on the other side and just hop over and grab the goods. if not, the prices on amazon.ca are still better than any brick and mortar.

I did this when i upgraded to the 07+ brakes upfront/new stainless steel brake lines. at that time, with forex and duties, i still saves about 40%

Sorry

OP
OP
greenyukon

greenyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks MannyB. Getting parts is not the problem at all up here. The brake line blow out of my town area. (No brakes at all). I had to take it to a brake shop ASAP.....(driving it wasn't fun.) I just think I'm getting ripped off by them telling me they have to replace the calipers as well as the lines.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the seals became damaged, you do not need to replace the calipers. Even if the seals went bad, the caliper can be rebuilt

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm asking this question due to the fact I think I'm getting the bend over treatment. I feel I'm up pretty good in the knowledge of brake repair. Anyways, I blew my center brake line that runs under the gas tank...Yes that sucks (no pun intended). I was not far from Midas (Canadian brake and muffler). He states the tank must be removed...I agree. That the two "Y" line should be replaced. Yup sure...I understand. However he also stated that the two rear calipers are now damaged and must be replaced?? Now I know that when you blow a line caliper/brake pressure drops to zero and the seals return the pistons. He wants 1,600.00. I just want to know...is it possible to screw both calipers when a line blows. Thanks for your feedback. PS. Cut and dry...On brake, line blows.
I blew mine when someone cut me off. I had to drive it on the highway to get to my buddy's shop. Calipers were fine. BS.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your rear calipers are fine. As stated above, there is a rebuilt kit for them. finding these with torn grommets seems to be common, but doesn't mean that the caliper seals are now leaking, but they will eventually.
The shop is doing what shops do- try to ensure you don't have to bring the vehicle back for a brake issue they already worked on. Nothing nefarious here, no ripoff attempt, just due diligence and calipers are always replaced in pairs.
I have just done this repair on my own Tahoe- Finding that 1 hard line by itself is hard, chances are, they will custom make it and if they do that, they could just run the new line an alternate route where they do not have to remove the tank and just leave the old line in place. Concerns with doing that would be with the new line not being as well secured and vibrating and chafing, so the safest way is to drop the tank.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, there is a drag reduction spring for the rear calipers, if you do not have it already, it is recommendable. If your parking brake is malfunctioning, now is the time to fix that also.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your local CAA and have them tow it to your regular repair facility. The towing is free if you have CAA plus, if not the cost of towing is less than the amount you are getting ripped of. CAA will tow many miles free by the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2