Brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adnoh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here. Just bought 2011 Yukon, I will be towing with it and was wondering if anyone has installed the integrated brake controller. I like the fact that it was a option. I would rather install that then some bulky box. Thanks in advance.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you talking about adding stock brake controller, don't think is possible, if it wasn't done at the time of purchase. Best option is aftermarket. They aren't that bulky.

IMG_0826.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. Just bought 2011 Yukon, I will be towing with it and was wondering if anyone has installed the integrated brake controller. I like the fact that it was a option. I would rather install that then some bulky box. Thanks in advance.

Installing the ITBC and all of the features that go with it, you might as well buy a new car. Completely different wiring harnesses and programming of the various modules throughout the vehicle. That being said, there was a guy on GM-Trucks forum who said he used to sell these to customers who hooked them up and had basic functionality. Could not verify it but that's what he said. If wired to the bundle already under the dash, it might work like an aftermarket unit without a display to see the gain setting. Someone was selling the bolster on ebay last week.

OP
OP
A

Adnoh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you. After doing more research found out you can but will cost an arm and a leg.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chris. The factory brake controller is really nice because it integrates with the ABS system. But the Tekonsha P3 is a great controller in its own right. In fact it has more features than the integrated controller: adjustable gain for different trailers, accelerometer based control. (Does the factory setup use an accelerometer?) I've got one in my 2001 Denali.

For mine there were two holes on the trim below the steering wheel where it went in just fine. GM gives you a plug that is in a really easy spot to get to - not like on the Ford F250/Excursion where you need to plug it in blind.

The only regret I have is a really obscure one: there are two things wrong with the placement on mine. One, I have to really hunch over if I want to actuate the manual brake. Two, at night time, the controller's screen reflects in the driver's window and is really distracting.

I would have liked to put mine over closer to the passenger but I have a big center console. I also have long enough legs that I hit the Tekonsha with my knee unless it was anywhere but directly under the steering wheel.

Good luck!

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the other guys said, the P3 is an AWESOME controller. 120 bucks on amazon, and I love that it can differentiate between multiple trailers. I definitely dont need the same stopping power on my flatbed as I do my camper....and the P3 knows it.

That said you'll have to jump through some hoops. For some dumbass reason GM didn't put a nice little harness together for us, they couldnt be bothered. So you'll have to find the harness wires tucked up under the dash, and then wire them into the harness that tekonsha sends you. Why there is no plug and play is beyond me.

Also, if you wish to use the house charging circuit on your truck, you'll need to look under the brake master cylinder and find the red wire wrapped up and wire it into the aux terminal on the fuse box. Mine was acting weird, low voltage and such. I axed the ring connector and put on a gold plated one, in addition I hit all the terminals on the fuse box with the dremel to knock off the corrosion.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the other guys said, the P3 is an AWESOME controller. 120 bucks on amazon, and I love that it can differentiate between multiple trailers. I definitely dont need the same stopping power on my flatbed as I do my camper....and the P3 knows it.

That said you'll have to jump through some hoops. For some dumbass reason GM didn't put a nice little harness together for us, they couldnt be bothered. So you'll have to find the harness wires tucked up under the dash, and then wire them into the harness that tekonsha sends you. Why there is no plug and play is beyond me.

Also, if you wish to use the house charging circuit on your truck, you'll need to look under the brake master cylinder and find the red wire wrapped up and wire it into the aux terminal on the fuse box. Mine was acting weird, low voltage and such. I axed the ring connector and put on a gold plated one, in addition I hit all the terminals on the fuse box with the dremel to knock off the corrosion.

They gave the wires, is there an industry standard connector? I would think not.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They gave the wires, is there an industry standard connector? I would think not.
No, but tekonsha makes wires that use whatever quick plug they use for like 10 bucks. No splicing. My toyota sequoia was a breeze to install in comparison. I also dont understand why they dont hook up the house charging circut already....really weird.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but tekonsha makes wires that use whatever quick plug they use for like 10 bucks. No splicing. My toyota sequoia was a breeze to install in comparison. I also dont understand why they dont hook up the house charging circut already....really weird.

I get the charging circuit. 90% of folks never use it and that hot wire would surely cause problems over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98