Brake Controller Issues - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marada Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2009 GMC Yukon Denali. I took it to a reputable trailer and hitch installation shop and they told me that there's an issue with the brake wire coming from the truck that's used to install a brake controller. As soon as the ignition is switched to the ON position, it sends power to that wire and it's not supposed to. If they hook up the brake controller, it would be constantly engaged. Anyone else have this issue before or know of a possible fix? They offered me a WiFi brake controller but I'm not to keen on that idea.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2009 GMC Yukon Denali. I took it to a reputable trailer and hitch installation shop and they told me that there's an issue with the brake wire coming from the truck that's used to install a brake controller. As soon as the ignition is switched to the ON position, it sends power to that wire and it's not supposed to. If they hook up the brake controller, it would be constantly engaged. Anyone else have this issue before or know of a possible fix? They offered me a WiFi brake controller but I'm not to keen on that idea.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!
Did they touch the wires under the hood? 2 red black wires bundled and not connected....one near the fender/ fuse box and the other under the master cylinder

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 wire is for power to the aftermarket controller the Other is for battery charging on the trailer...They are both red/black and taped and left bundled for future use. My truck has a factory controller so I already hd a wire hooked up but I still had 2 sept wires bundled and taped so I only needed to hook 1 up. They have ring terminals on them and only fit 1 post on the fuse box or the other... see what they did and report back

OP
OP
M

Marada Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1 wire is for power to the aftermarket controller the Other is for battery charging on the trailer...They are both red/black and taped and left bundled for future use. My truck has a factory controller so I already hd a wire hooked up but I still had 2 sept wires bundled and taped so I only needed to hook 1 up. They have ring terminals on them and only fit 1 post on the fuse box or the other... see what they did and report back
Will do. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have no factory brake controller you need to hook up the wires under hood. They may have put the wrong wire on the wrong post... I don’t know how because they are sized accordingly...

This is what I was thinking may have happened. They may have connected the brake wire to the auxiliary power stud.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out that it was all due to a faulty brake switch. All good now.

Shout out to the folks who chimed in and gave your input. Much appreciated.

Thanks for reporting back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbo6111

Latest posts