Bought a 2008 denali 6.2 AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danvis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the fourm and the truck. Just bought it lst night for my wife.(Backstory...im in a 09 5.3 4WD CC...now i want the vortec maxx) Had done some research on common problems and she checked out so far.

2008 Yukon Denali 6.2 6sp awd
160k imagejpeg_2.jpg

Had one issue of the driver door not turning off acc power but after reading i played with the white switch in the latch and so far so good.

Its an afm truck and i know this is crap because of my truck..looking to delete and tune truck and trans for daily driving actually wanting to do this to both trucks.

Havent seen anything else not working yet but just got home with it at 3am and been at work all day.

Anything i should look for let me know

20180605_192017.jpg

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up essentially the same vehicle back in March.

Are you 100% sure the Denali has AFM? What's the top of the lifter valley look like?

Practically everything I've read supports the following in regards to the SUV 6.2's (L92), i.e Yukon Denali/Escalade:

'07 - Has all the AFM stuff hardware, but is disabled in the programming
'08 - No AFM anything
'09 - No AFM anything, FlexFuel support added (became the L9H then)
'10+ - AFM & FlexFuel (became the L94 then)

All years have VVT.

OP
OP
D

Danvis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I may be wrong. I just found this fourm today and had been lookin in gmfs and silveradosierra at a few that had Yukon with 6.2. All that i seen there said it did but i was trying to find rpo codes list and couldn't. What should the lifter valley look like. I know it doesnt have the instnt duel econ screen with the v4 v8 displayed like my truck does....i havent had much time to reasearch the 6.2 either though. Wanted rpo to see which trans also.

Have no clue how this awd system works either only seen a few people say they didnt like it so hopefully it holds up.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not an AFM valley Cover so no, it does not have AFM...compare it to the Valley Cover on your 5.3 and it will look like the one on the left in the pic below...smooth Valley Cover = no AFM

DCP03238.jpg

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, what 01FormulaTA said, smooth valley cover is definitely non-AFM.

The AWD system on these is a little weird...not necessarily bad. It's not like a true 4WD vehicle while in 4WD mode. As I understand, all the diffs are open, so even though it is AWD it doesn't give you the full time traction you might expect.

You also need to make sure to set the e-brake and chock the wheels if you're jacking up just the front....it will roll because of the "open" system.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Brian! Your L92 does not have AFM. Only the very earliest 2007 models had AFM hardware but it was not active in the tune.

Make sure you buy a Tech2 so you can service both vehicles more easily and a shop manual from AllDataDIY or in PDF form off ebay. Does your 2009 have the 4-speed or 6-speed transmission?

OP
OP
D

Danvis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to know. After crawling under it i have spotted 2 leaks at the front. One on part of the awd system and the other is the front driveshaft front seal20180731_175253.jpg 20180731_175401.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan