body molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9C1C

Reaction score
I assume the body side moldings on the doors is just held on by adhesive, and wondered if it's risky to try to take it off (ie damage the paint). Any advice on how to get them off?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search on ”debadging” there’s a few ways. I’ve never done it but I’ve heard fishing line can be used to saw through the glue or a heat gun and pulling. Don’t use any metal tools against the paint obviously but a plastic scraper can be used to get it started.Follow up is done with a 3M Eraser Wheel to remove the remainder of the adhesive. Hopefully someone who has done it will chime in.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine but ended up putting it back. As Ken said heating the adhesive from above and below the molding makes it easier. Don’t apply heat head on. Fishing string is good the get it started. Once it starts to come off you can apply heat where the glue is. It doesn’t take much heat so be careful of your paint. I used a plastic trim tool for what little prying was needed.

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
Thank you both for the feedback. BM, what made you put it back on?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without the trim it was a big blank spot. I started a thread with pictures of the trim off and on. I felt like my color needed the chrome accent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879