Blower Motor Resistor Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I started my daily driver 2004 Tahoe yesterday and put on the A/C only to find out that the front fans would only work on high. I did some research and after checking the fuses I decided to look at the fan blower resistor. Here is it's location partly removing the cover and the resistor:

20140120_211241.jpg

Here are two more attempts at close-ups of the resistor partly removed:

20140120_211256.jpg

20140120_211302.jpg

Here's what it looks like removed:

20140120_211534.jpg

I noticed that one of the jumpers had disappeared upon closer inspection. I then cleaned up the connection with some 220-grit sandpaper and reconnected the resistor to the blower motor and jumped the connection with a screwdriver to test. Jumping the connection gave me my 1-4 fan speeds back:

20140120_211540.jpg

I soldered the connection back and here it is in all it's glory before being reinstalled:

20140120_213011.jpg

Now I have all my fan speeds back again.

ptranquillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Blower Resistor Failure

IMAG2169.jpg

IMAG2170.jpg

This morning, I started the truck, turned the heat on and nothing. Turns out, resistor bit the big one. 4 screws and ten minutes to fix. Took longer to find one, than to fix. Opted for original AC Delco Part. Spent $51.00. Saved approximately $120-150 on diagnostics and labor. Sweet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
This morning, I started the truck, turned the heat on and nothing. Turns out, resistor bit the big one. 4 screws and ten minutes to fix. Took longer to find one, than to fix. Opted for original AC Delco Part. Spent $51.00. Saved approximately $120-150 on diagnostics and labor. Sweet!

Very cool. I'm not familiar with that part as it looks different than the resistor I had to repair on mine. It looks like the part number (from the first picture) is 15141283. Is that the right part number and where is the part located on your Tahoe?

Time2Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I'm not familiar with that part as it looks different than the resistor I had to repair on mine. It looks like the part number (from the first picture) is 15141283. Is that the right part number and where is the part located on your Tahoe?

The resistors look COMPLETELY different between Manual Temp Controls and the Digital Temp Controls. I believe the pics above show the Manual Temp Controls resistor.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. After fixing the prone rear heater issue in my Denali I went to test everything and my front heater stopped working, well it changes from hot to cold but the fan does not blow on any setting. It will push out warm or cold air (whatever it's set to) when going faster than 45mph. Any idea what could have caused this? I've checked all fuses and everything seems to be fine...This is on an 03 Denali with digital climate control

Time2Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. After fixing the prone rear heater issue in my Denali I went to test everything and my front heater stopped working, well it changes from hot to cold but the fan does not blow on any setting. It will push out warm or cold air (whatever it's set to) when going faster than 45mph. Any idea what could have caused this? I've checked all fuses and everything seems to be fine...This is on an 03 Denali with digital climate control

First, do you have Manual or Digital temp controls?

If its blowing when doing 45+, you're just getting the normal airflow thru the vehicle, the blower motor isn't doing anything.

It sounds like your blower motor died. You can pull it out, and put 12v to it and see if it spins. If it doesn't do anything, then you blower motor is dead. If it does work, then its probably the temp controls. It's rare for a resistor to completely go out, usually you just lose the low speeds but it will still run on high.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's digital controls. I just went and pulled my blower motor and it fired right up. Is there any way to test the resistor that's connected to it? Do you think it's the actually climate control unit since the blower works? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove