Blower Motor Resistor Connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need help. My son's 2005 Tahoe has lost all fan speeds up front with heat and air. We had the typical resistor issue back in 2016 I believe. in 2016, the truck lost fan speed 1,3 and 4 due to water. Replaced resistor in 2016, issue has been fixed till 2 weeks ago. Son told me fan wasn't kicking on. Pulled the resistor again from 2016, it was melted together at the black wire (power?). But it appeard to be melted only on the resistor side. Got another a replacement resistor, lasted a week and now when I pull the resistor I have a visible hot spot on the GM pig tail (position 3 from left, black wire). I can wiggle it around and get the fan to kick on and operate on all fan speeds, but eventually it loses contact and and shuts off. I'm not an electrical guy, but it seems to me the GM side connector needs to be replaced. Can I use this (see link) and just splice into the existing wires? If so, I assume I just splice left to right since the color of the GM wires aren't idential to those in this connector? Does anyone else have PN for this connector that might be better?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is the motor? You might just replace the motor at this point, as to splicing. But I don't have experience with this problem.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some of the aftermarket pigtails have all white wires; color doesn't matter, but order does. If that new connector is identical to your 2005's connector, you would cut off the old one (leaving some wire still connected to be able to match position) and use either butt connectors or solder the new connector wires to the truck harness. Keep the wires in the correct order.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need help. My son's 2005 Tahoe has lost all fan speeds up front with heat and air. We had the typical resistor issue back in 2016 I believe. in 2016, the truck lost fan speed 1,3 and 4 due to water. Replaced resistor in 2016, issue has been fixed till 2 weeks ago. Son told me fan wasn't kicking on. Pulled the resistor again from 2016, it was melted together at the black wire (power?). But it appeard to be melted only on the resistor side. Got another a replacement resistor, lasted a week and now when I pull the resistor I have a visible hot spot on the GM pig tail (position 3 from left, black wire). I can wiggle it around and get the fan to kick on and operate on all fan speeds, but eventually it loses contact and and shuts off. I'm not an electrical guy, but it seems to me the GM side connector needs to be replaced. Can I use this (see link) and just splice into the existing wires? If so, I assume I just splice left to right since the color of the GM wires aren't idential to those in this connector? Does anyone else have PN for this connector that might be better?

yes you can use it as long as the pin out/connector is the same type, wire color doesn't matter just match them up to the same location, use some good quality wire butt connectors, some of the kits like that come with some connectors

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is the motor? You might just replace the motor at this point, as to splicing. But I don't have experience with this problem.
The connector I'm referring to comes off of the GM harness. It doesn't touch the motor. Replacing the motor isn't going to keep me from having to splice a new connector on the GM harness side.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the aftermarket pigtails have all white wires; color doesn't matter, but order does. If that new connector is identical to your 2005's connector, you would cut off the old one (leaving some wire still connected to be able to match position) and use either butt connectors or solder the new connector wires to the truck harness. Keep the wires in the correct order.
I really hate cutting the factory wires. But, I guess thats what we're gonna have to do

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The connector I'm referring to comes off of the GM harness. It doesn't touch the motor. Replacing the motor isn't going to keep me from having to splice a new connector on the GM harness side.
Sorry, man. I misunderstood.