Blend Door Actuators - Tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing out the actuator that controls the left / right heat and cold up front. That's the one behind the dash. Also changing out the one for the rear air.

Y'all pray no small children walk by the shop because they may get scarred for life.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Been told that the best way to gain access is to remove the dash. Some fight it and try to do it without that but if you are up to pulling the dash and have some help for removal and reinstall, that is the easiest way to do it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing out the actuator that controls the left / right heat and cold up front. That's the one behind the dash. Also changing out the one for the rear air.

Y'all pray no small children walk by the shop because they may get scarred for life.
There are 4 up front, the driver and passenger side temperature control actuators, the fresh air or recirc acuator and the mode actuator. Make sure you have the right part numbers and hopefully they are GM OE and not Dorman or some other brand. Depending on which controller you have, the front can have 2 or 3 different part numbers for all 4.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You did not say what year and make your rig is but if is the same or close to my 05Z71 the part numbers are as follows, 3 actuators up front are GM-89018365 or AC Delco is 15-72971, one other up front and located at end of driver's side is GM-89018374 or AC Delco 15-73952. The actuators at the rear a/c-heat are both GM-89018375 or AC Delco 15-72972. Also, like @swathdiver said, use the Genuine GM or AC Delco parts and not the aftermarket crap, like Dorman. You only want to do this one time.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything went well. Took about an hour. Did not remove the dash, just pulled the vents and the airbag and went in that way. Works perfect.

I never use aftermarket parts. Everything was GM original from the GMC dealership parts counter.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything went well. Took about an hour. Did not remove the dash, just pulled the vents and the airbag and went in that way. Works perfect.

I never use aftermarket parts. Everything was GM original from the GMC dealership parts counter.
With it being fresh on your mind, are you able to share any links or info used in your project?
I may need to replace the driver hot cold actuator and of not much else get all four done as well up front.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
With it being fresh on your mind, are you able to share any links or info used in your project?
I may need to replace the driver hot cold actuator and of not much else get all four done as well up front.
I used the video shown below from a Silverado when I did the top AC actuator.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two that are easier to get to were done previously. What we did to get to the one behind the dash was pull the vent to the left of the airbag, pull the airbag and remove the glove box.

From there you are able to see the actuator behind some steel and a wiring harness and below the vents. Used a pry bar from the opening of the airbags to GENTLY lift up on the vent since it sits right on top of the actuator. Got a small socket in there to get the two screws out and remove the old actuator. Putting the new one in was not as bad as getting it out. The front screw was pretty easy, that back one was difficult but the guy helping me had a magnet that he was able to use to get the screw positioned and a few hand turns tightened. We were really worried that screw was destined for a life at the bottom of the firewall.

The rear one was quite easy. Hardest part was getting the panels off.

The behind the dash actuator was 89018365 ($277)
The rear one was 89018375 ($174)

You can get actuators a lot cheaper either after market or possibly getting a fake from Amazon. As much of a pain in the ass as this was I was not willing to risk it.
These were purchased at the GMC dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia