Blacking out 3rd brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsspeeds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking at blacking out the 3rd brake light. Looked online at some replacement ones, but the cost is more than I am willing to spend for them. Has anyone used VHT Nightshade on them? A bottle of that is like $11 on amazon. Clear coat over it? Your thoughts please.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use nightshade it only looks good for a short while then will turn almost flat purple/black color. There was a guy in my town who did a whole bunch of people and they now look bad. My buddy is a painter and he mixed 1 part black paint to a certain amount of clear (not sure the exact mixture). They turn out glossy black and will last just like painting anything plus you can decide how dark you want them.

OP
OP
I

itsspeeds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I gotta get a pro to paint it, I might as well spend a lil extra and get a LED smoked one.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did the vht and on the 3rd brake light it wont fade too fast. if you clear it itll last for a long time.

BO TIE SS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i did the vht and on the 3rd brake light it wont fade too fast. if you clear it itll last for a long time.
I agree. I did my Trailblazer (aftermarket Avalanche light) with VHT almost one year ago. There has been absolutely no change so far.
(my tail lights were done three years ago)

Before
A1.jpg

After
A4.jpg
A5.jpg

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Hey I have one thats tinted out. I had a aftermarket By Eagle eyes i think? Anyways it was Tinted up and never installed because i installed a esky spoiler. I hope to get it back tomorrow and ill post up a pic once i do.
Looks like
11-CTS07LEDSM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts