Black Electrical Junction Box Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an 2018 Tahoe LT. I added a trailer brake controller on the panel under my steering wheel. Had a wiring harness that fits both ends - (the box connection and the brake controller unit. I took the Black Electrical Box Cover off to do the install. Unfortunately, the harness length doesn't allow me to put the junction box cover back on. So here is my dumb question: Is there any danger to driving the vehicle without the cover in place? I would think the only danger would be if I banged my foot up in that area and damaged a wire. The braking system works fine and cutting the wiring, splicing in more wire to get more length is something I'd like to avoid. So just wanted your thoughts on running without the cover in place.

thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have an 2018 Tahoe LT. I added a trailer brake controller on the panel under my steering wheel. Had a wiring harness that fits both ends - (the box connection and the brake controller unit. I took the Black Electrical Box Cover off to do the install. Unfortunately, the harness length doesn't allow me to put the junction box cover back on. So here is my dumb question: Is there any danger to driving the vehicle without the cover in place? I would think the only danger would be if I banged my foot up in that area and damaged a wire. The braking system works fine and cutting the wiring, splicing in more wire to get more length is something I'd like to avoid. So just wanted your thoughts on running without the cover in place.

thanks
pictures of the box and cover would be helpful to help you out in finding a solution, if you use your phone or a computer when you are posting a reply you will see a little box in the bar above where you are typing one looks like a picture of a mountain, click on that and you can upload a photo.

OP
OP
R

RickTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
pictures of the box and cover would be helpful to help you out in finding a solution, if you use your phone or a computer when you are posting a reply you will see a little box in the bar above where you are typing one looks like a picture of a mountain, click on that and you can upload a photo.

Thanks for responding. If the black cover is needed, I am thinking I might drill out a hole in the center of the cover that would allow me to pass the harness (shown with the red, white, black and blue wires) through it, connect to the brake controller connector in the box, and then clip back on the cover?

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. If the black cover is needed, I am thinking I might drill out a hole in the center of the cover that would allow me to pass the harness (shown with the red, white, black and blue wires) through it, connect to the brake controller connector in the box, and then clip back on the cover?

View attachment 371317

View attachment 371318
how high up do you have controller mounted? can it be moved down enough to get enough slack in the harness so you can cut a notch in the cover? otherwise you could cut a square hole and feed it thru, it is just plastic after all and could be replaced in the future if you were to sell the vehicle or trade it in. the cover is just a kickpanel so you don't accidentally stick your foot up in there, the box is usually up high enough that it never happens anyway, my concern would be more if you spilled a drink or something and it splashed up in there, which again would be rare but just a thought.

OP
OP
R

RickTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how high up do you have controller mounted? can it be moved down enough to get enough slack in the harness so you can cut a notch in the cover? otherwise you could cut a square hole and feed it thru, it is just plastic after all and could be replaced in the future if you were to sell the vehicle or trade it in. the cover is just a kickpanel so you don't accidentally stick your foot up in there, the box is usually up high enough that it never happens anyway, my concern would be more if you spilled a drink or something and it splashed up in there, which again would be rare but just a thought.
I have it in the best location for being able to see it and also to not interfere with my legs movements to brake or push the gas pedal . I think cutting a hole in the plastic will be best. I thank you very much for 'talking me' through the ideas. Really appreciate your help.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As an option you could extend the harness with a few inches of like-sized wires, making sure the connections are great (solder, crimp & seal, etc.).

OP
OP
R

RickTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As an option you could extend the harness with a few inches of like-sized wires, making sure the connections are great (solder, crimp & seal, etc.).
I have given that thought, but prefer to leave harness 'complete', without spicing in more wore. It may end up that I have to do that. Just wanted to explore other options. Thanks for posting up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos