Black Bear Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm meeting up in Forth Worth for the tune this weekend and have a couple of questions. Do we need to run the appropriate octane for the tune we want before we get the tune? Is it even beneficial to have a 91 octane tune over a 87?

tell the Dr Robert Rickords down there, Tracy form Oklahoma says HI :D

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Well, I disagree. I don't know about the ******* the motor part, I spoke with Justin about E85 a few times and while he has plenty to say he never said it was ******* the motor. As for milage and cost if you do the math it is a wash and you will spend about 5% less to go the same amount of miles. Basically E85 is about 25% less efficient so if you're getting 20MPG's(just for conversations sake) you'll get 15 but it's 25-30% cheaper(E85 $2.00-$228/ 91 $2.70-$3.00) so if you're running 91 Octane(and not getting the most out of your 93 BB Tune) it's a wash or you save a little cash. I spend the same amount on gas each week as I did running 91 I just have to fill up an extra time so now I use about 1.5 tanks of gas as apposed to 1. I'll tell ya' I hate when I have to run 91 the difference is very noticeable. I am not so sold on the environmental aspect of it but I do think it helps decrease the need for foreign oil and that's a selling point for be but overall the performance is what has me going back. I don't think it is convenient enough here in Phx for a lot of people to use it, I happen to have a station right by my house or I probably wouldn't use it but don't write it off, I think it's a good fuel............

you have made me second guess... im going to do some more homework on the subject. prolly going to get in touch with justin as well...

so you used to have a 91 octane tune then switched to e85 tune and the truck has more power?

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
you have made me second guess... im going to do some more homework on the subject. prolly going to get in touch with justin as well...

so you used to have a 91 octane tune then switched to e85 tune and the truck has more power?

I personally feel like I gained an extra cylinder on the E85, it's substantial. I have gone back and forth several times due to the fact the station near me is not open on the weekends and also from going out of town......I'm hooked on the corn like crack..........

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
what happens when you cant find it? do you just put 91 in?

Yeah, you can mix it if you want. That's what some ppl do. I tried it to try and get the best of both worlds, power and a little better milage. I did 50/50 and I gained 1mpg or so but the power wasn't there so I said 100% corn was better. I think there is a station in Mesa

http://www.westernstatespetroleum.com/e85-biodiesel.html

Call, give it a try. Knowing how much you like power I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
hmmm, I'm tuned for the 93, i may try a half a tank of E85 and see what happens.

If your gonna try it I suggest a full tank of E85, I tried mixing 50/50 and the power is no where near what it is on 100% E85. You can always fill up a whole tank of E85 and drive off 1/2 tank and add 93 if you don't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse