Black Bear still making fan harnesses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '04 Tahoe. I bought a Black Bear harness... added aftermarket fans, had it all professionally installed by my MECP-certified tech. Two of the relays melted (a common problem I've seen looking around), and so has subsequently one of my fan connectors. He's rewired things a couple of times now to keep it all going, but I am tired of it having to be done. Just want to replace it all.

But I can't see on Black Bear's site anymore where to buy the fan harness? Also planning on sending in my module for a tune to make sure it's all programmed properly. Previously a local guy programmed it to "activate" the fan pin, but it didn't seem to work. Somehow or other we ended up getting it working, but not sure how.

Anyways, I need to get a new harness and start from scratch. Also, tips on good fans to buy (besides spending $600 on Flex-A-Lite) would be great. Dorman, Depo, TYC? Something else? That's about all I'm finding on Amazon and Egay. I am tried of messing with the cooling system on this truck, I just want it to work and not overheat when idling, not stop cooling at stoplights, etc.

Ugh!

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an '04 Tahoe. I bought a Black Bear harness... added aftermarket fans, had it all professionally installed by my MECP-certified tech. Two of the relays melted (a common problem I've seen looking around), and so has subsequently one of my fan connectors. He's rewired things a couple of times now to keep it all going, but I am tired of it having to be done. Just want to replace it all.

But I can't see on Black Bear's site anymore where to buy the fan harness? Also planning on sending in my module for a tune to make sure it's all programmed properly. Previously a local guy programmed it to "activate" the fan pin, but it didn't seem to work. Somehow or other we ended up getting it working, but not sure how.

Anyways, I need to get a new harness and start from scratch. Also, tips on good fans to buy (besides spending $600 on Flex-A-Lite) would be great. Dorman, Depo, TYC? Something else? That's about all I'm finding on Amazon and Egay. I am tried of messing with the cooling system on this truck, I just want it to work and not overheat when idling, not stop cooling at stoplights, etc.

Ugh!

We no longer sell the efan harness, but you can purchase from ls1fans.com.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackbear is not making harnesses anymore.

I have a 2004 Yukon XL I just did this with. First I got a BB Tune, then I ordered the fans, harness, and overdrive pulley. Mine have been installed for a little over a month now and have been working awesome. 90% of the time I cant tell the fans are on until I pop the hood to check.

Fans:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-620-65...bs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V48BGJSBKQT21ZDXX4T

Harness: http://www.ls1fans.com/2003__Truck_SUV.php
Pick the harness option 05+ trucks if you use the fans above.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips... I was just finding some of that info myself.

Question, however...

I have read a few reviews of the Dorman fans that have said they are pulling excessive amperage, well above what they are rated for. I assume this is possibly why I keep melting my harness/relays, fan connectors, etc. Should I just get a different fan, like the TYC or Depo? I don't think I'll have much luck pulling them intact out of a salvage around here, honestly.

<edit> I suppose it's possible Dorman has a few units out that do this, and maybe I just got one of the bad ones... I just hate to buy the same thing all over again and end up in the same position. :(

Last edited:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read reviews of the 620-654 Model that are pulling excessive current. I dont think my 620-653 are pulling much though. My 145A alternator is able to keep up with them just fine and I havent put the overdrive pulley on yet. If the fans kick on both high at idle then my voltage drops to about 13.5 for literally 1 second then jumps right back to 14ish. Im thinking the pulley will counter that fine.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about power... I'm running three alternators. Just worried about melting the circuit, as it appears that is what it is doing now, repeatedly. Thanks for the information. I'm going to have to make a decision to try them again or to go for something else. <sigh>

bigdawg70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So who has best prices for tuning?. I have seen sum places charging $300 I just need fan turned on. Is any one running the nelson harness? I like the override switch I have one in another car works great. Just moved to texas and want to do this mod.

TacHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the p/n for the harness for the stock efans from the 04-05 yukon?
Should be a direct swap into a tahoe.... just cant find the harness

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So who has best prices for tuning?. I have seen sum places charging $300 I just need fan turned on. Is any one running the nelson harness? I like the override switch I have one in another car works great. Just moved to texas and want to do this mod.

We offer one item tuning, which would fit your need. Shoot an email to [email protected] for further info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman