Bilstein ZW7 kit sagging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '05 Tahoe has 170K on it. Its 2wd and is in awesome condition. Back in January I decided to update the suspension because it was starting to feel a bit bouncy and unpredictable so I did the Bilstein ZW7 kit which replaces the front and rear shocks and also replaces the rear springs with a stiffer one than OE since we were removing the nivomat shocks (which were pretty well blown). Since that time we've noticed the rear end now sits just a little lower than it did with the Nivomat shocks and OE springs. The truck feels great, but this tiny bit of sag is bothering me because I can see it as she sits and it wasn't supposed to do this. Its not a lot, but I first noticed it because we hooked our little trailer which I've owned since 2010 and when we reached our destination I noticed one of the chains had been dragging during the drive. Pulled this trailer hundreds of time and never had that happen. Anyone else use this kit and experience the same?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '05 Tahoe has 170K on it. Its 2wd and is in awesome condition. Back in January I decided to update the suspension because it was starting to feel a bit bouncy and unpredictable so I did the Bilstein ZW7 kit which replaces the front and rear shocks and also replaces the rear springs with a stiffer one than OE since we were removing the nivomat shocks (which were pretty well blown). Since that time we've noticed the rear end now sits just a little lower than it did with the Nivomat shocks and OE springs. The truck feels great, but this tiny bit of sag is bothering me because I can see it as she sits and it wasn't supposed to do this. Its not a lot, but I first noticed it because we hooked our little trailer which I've owned since 2010 and when we reached our destination I noticed one of the chains had been dragging during the drive. Pulled this trailer hundreds of time and never had that happen. Anyone else use this kit and experience the same?
Never knew such a kit existed. The Moog 81069 is the spring most folks use to replace the softer ones used with the Nivomats. They are also used on the generation after yours that did not use Nivomats and this spring is comparable to that one.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never knew such a kit existed. The Moog 81069 is the spring most folks use to replace the softer ones used with the Nivomats. They are also used on the generation after yours that did not use Nivomats and this spring is comparable to that one.
Thats good to know, Thanks. I have a call into shock warehouse where I bought the kit. Pending a call back, but the person I spoke with said yeah, we sell that kit alot and its not supposed to do that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is what RockAuto says is Bilstein's word:

1652296175720.png

I would think if Bilstein offered that as a kit, RA would sell it. Wonder what mfr. and model rear spring you received?

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what RockAuto says is Bilstein's word:

View attachment 370107

I would think if Bilstein offered that as a kit, RA would sell it. Wonder what mfr. and model rear spring you received?
Its a legit kit. I even spoke to Bilstein tech about it. They stated (without knowing a ton on the nivomat shocks) that maybe with nivomat (non electronic) when we hook a trailer up it lifts automatically which is why we never drug the chains before when towing the trailer. He asked if the shocks were leaking, and they're not. He told me to take some measurements and keep an eye on it. If it gets lower, Shock warehouse should be working with me since Bilstein doesn't work directly with consumers

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Standard shocks aren't going to change the height; it's the springs that do that. It looks to me like Shock Warehouse put that kit together, and maybe not necessarily a Bilstein-offered kit. Even so, it looks like the right parts based on Bilstein's info.

The Nivomats self-adjust after a load is introduced, but they have to "work" a little for the adjustment to take place. So after loading the truck, it has to be driven a few blocks for the adjustment to happen. Unlike air shocks, there won't be any adjustment if the truck doesn't move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts