Bilstein Adjustable Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spacewrangler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would strongly not consider this just for the Bilstein 5100 design. Prior to having a 21 Tahoe HC, I had a GX460 that temporarily had Bilstein 5100's on the front. The collar perch design to give the lift is poorly designed as it just sorta clips in. Guys on the 4Runner/GX460/Toyota forums have had major failures with that design. I quickly went to Ironman fully adjustable coilovers on the GX460 after seeing all the horror stories.

If it's going to be just a pavement princess, Bilstein 5100's might be ok, but if it's actually going to do any light offroading, I would avoid them. Just my 2 cents.

TxSam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would strongly not consider this just for the Bilstein 5100 design. Prior to having a 21 Tahoe HC, I had a GX460 that temporarily had Bilstein 5100's on the front. The collar perch design to give the lift is poorly designed as it just sorta clips in. Guys on the 4Runner/GX460/Toyota forums have had major failures with that design. I quickly went to Ironman fully adjustable coilovers on the GX460 after seeing all the horror stories.

If it's going to be just a pavement princess, Bilstein 5100's might be ok, but if it's actually going to do any light offroading, I would avoid them. Just my 2 cents.
That is interesting to know. I had them on my Ram 1500 for 160K+ miles with no problem, set at the highest lift which is 2.8" on the Ram. Drove them in the mountains of Montana and a few other places that I would say easily qualify for light off-roading. I wouldn't call what I did serious off-roading - it may be to some I guess. Since the 5100's use some of the OEM parts, I suppose durability could be application specific. Like I said, I had no problems and I never heard of Ram owners having problems.

Concerning ride and handling behavior, again on the Ram, the difference was significant. I will be likely trying out the Bilstein 5100s on my Yukon when I get the time. I'm looking for a little lift and more firm handling.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is interesting to know. I had them on my Ram 1500 for 160K+ miles with no problem, set at the highest lift which is 2.8" on the Ram. Drove them in the mountains of Montana and a few other places that I would say easily qualify for light off-roading. I wouldn't call what I did serious off-roading - it may be to some I guess. Since the 5100's use some of the OEM parts, I suppose durability could be application specific. Like I said, I had no problems and I never heard of Ram owners having problems.

Concerning ride and handling behavior, again on the Ram, the difference was significant. I will be likely trying out the Bilstein 5100s on my Yukon when I get the time. I'm looking for a little lift and more firm handling.

I used to have a RAM, but mine was lowered... I was going to say the Bilstein 5100 shocks have a pretty high reputation with RAM owners.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a RAM, but mine was lowered... I was going to say the Bilstein 5100 shocks have a pretty high reputation with RAM owners.
I have two rams. Read a lot about the bils leveling struts and never heard anything but praise. Certainty no issues with the retaining clip for different height settings.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The clip design is the same as factory-the factory uses clips on their strut spring perches on -15 up tahoes, suburbans, pickups.

I had 5100s on my last 2016 tahoe leveled for over 75k miles and through many rough construction sites—very rough. No problems.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting Bilstein 5100’s for the front and back on my 21 Z71 Non Air Ride. Using the front adjust shock to eliminate front space in rough country 3.5 kit.

The backs are not in stock currently for a couple weeks so it’s just gonna be fronts until rears land. Even GM OEM shocks/struts were weeks out

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious to see what you think of the ride quality.
most dont realize how much stiffer the 5100 really is, most dont know to USE them either...they still put over a bump or dip and then complain about how stiff they are.

TxSam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m getting Bilstein 5100’s for the front and back on my 21 Z71 Non Air Ride. Using the front adjust shock to eliminate front space in rough country 3.5 kit.

The backs are not in stock currently for a couple weeks so it’s just gonna be fronts until rears land. Even GM OEM shocks/struts were weeks out
Will be interested to see what you think about the install and ride. Still thinking the 5100's are my preferred route for a moderate lift. Let us know what you think when it's done. :)