Biga*s Wheels & Tires detrimental effects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So recently after changing out the tranny fluid and it being completely black (@ 74k miles), it started to make me wonder about the 24's and it's effects on the tranny, drivetrain, suspension, etc.....pretty much all of the OEM components.

I notice many of us run bigger wheels and tires and over time, did anyone have any major issues? The tranny and axles have got to be stressed from the larger rotating masses.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
No it does not matter. Most tranny fluid is pretty black at about 35k miles.
24" wheels/tires aren't very heavy prepared to stock wheels/tires. Maybe if you had 30s you would have an issue.

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
24" wheels/tires aren't very heavy prepared to stock wheels/tires. Maybe if you had 30s you would have an issue.

Agreed, these things are made for towing.... The only thing I feel different between stock and 24''s is a small drag on the brakes....

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck throws my 22's around like the stockers. I even get wheel chirp at hard takeoff when I want to show off but I don't do that often cause rubber ain't cheap. Probably helps that my wheels are not chrome. My chrome ones were a tad bit heavier than the machined ones I have now.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No it isn't. The only time I've ever seen black fluid at 35k miles is when the transmission has a problem.

Heavier wheels and tires aren't really going to hurt the drivetrain; however, they will absolutely wear out the steering and suspension parts faster. Most notably the pitman and idler arms, steering gear (which can be adjusted a little bit), and front wheel bearings (especially if 4x4).

Last edited:

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
No it isn't. The only time I've ever seen black fluid at 35k miles is when the transmission has a problem.

Heavier wheels and tires aren't really going to hurt the drivetrain; however, they will absolutely wear out the steering and suspension parts faster. Most notably the pitman and idler arms, steering gear (which can be adjusted a little bit), and front wheel bearings (especially if 4x4).

Agreed completely - if you have black tranny fluid @ 35k, you're burning up your fluid. Mine is still red after 35k on my OBS.

Same with wear on pitman and idler arms. Also, if you beat the hell out of your rig, bigger wheels/tires will wear the drivetrain faster...but under normal driving, I can't see a huge negative to having a big setup unless its really big.

I'm no pro, just my basic understanding and wkd monkeying around on this stuff :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DGeneration420