Beware: GM Nightmare - Defective 2024 and 2022 Yukon Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
With 22 GM got involved with the dealer fairly early on. The dealer was carrying out exactly what the engineers and GM tech had instructed. They made 7 failed attempts to fix it. When this happened again with the 24 , I just said to them we can't afford going through this again; for 2 years the truck cannot stay in their maintenance shops more than it can be with us.
That's all well and good but if the mechanic doesn't understand and isn't giving the engineers the correct info then the answer they are getting back is useless (trouble codes alone are not accurate info). Your 22 may have been a lemon but the 24 hasn't risen to that level yet. All problems are fixable given a good mechanic getting to the root cause of an issue and not just throwing parts at it based on trouble codes. Sometimes repairs are cost prohibitive and then the dealer/repair shop/manufacturer won't or will recommend not repairing it.
A good friend recently retired as a service manager of a Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer in MN and the stories he told of what mechanics do amazed me. They get paid based on a flat rate manual/chart and they don't like to work on hard cases because they loose money based and the flat rate chart (ie they get paid 2 hrs to replace a valve cover gasket whether it takes 1 hour or 3 hours). Warranty work is even worse because the manufacturer decides how much to pay and it rarely covers the cost the dealer incurs.
All manufacturers have lemons/issues since they are designed and built by humans and none of us are perfect.

OP
OP
A

AAhmed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All I know is that we pay for convenience so as to avoid having to spend a lot of time at the mechanic, and our truck spends more time at their maintenance facility than with us.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is that we pay for convenience so as to avoid having to spend a lot of time at the mechanic, and our truck spends more time at their maintenance facility than with us.
totally hear yah
We have a ram baby diesel and a gm baby diesel; they both have enjoyed their respective dealer shops more than I'd prefer. (they are battling it out as to who has been in the shop the most, Ram is ahead at the moment but the denali has been gaining momentum)

I do enjoy the mileage when they work; the free manufacturer warranty on the Ram to 140k is a nice plus. But yep, I get frustrated when I need to figure out a visitation schedule with the dealer to see my own vehicle :).

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
I totally understand your pain. Not trying to blame you at all. Diesels are a totally different animal to work on than a gas engine is. If a mechanic doesn't understand what all the electronic sensors do and how they interact with each other, the engine itself and the ECM/PCM they are going to have a hard time diagnosing an issue. Today's mechanic needs to almost be an electrical engineer along with knowing how to work on the mechanical side of the drivetrain and that's where the problem is (the manufacturer repair procedures I have seen are lacking or incomplete).

OP
OP
A

AAhmed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
totally hear yah
We have a ram baby diesel and a gm baby diesel; they both have enjoyed their respective dealer shops more than I'd prefer. (they are battling it out as to who has been in the shop the most, Ram is ahead at the moment but the denali has been gaining momentum)

I do enjoy the mileage when they work; the free manufacturer warranty on the Ram to 140k is a nice plus. But yep, I get frustrated when I need to figure out a visitation schedule with the dealer to see my own vehicle :).
Yes, diesel mpg is great only when it works as intended, which is not most of the time :)

OP
OP
A

AAhmed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I totally understand your pain. Not trying to blame you at all. Diesels are a totally different animal to work on than a gas engine is. If a mechanic doesn't understand what all the electronic sensors do and how they interact with each other, the engine itself and the ECM/PCM they are going to have a hard time diagnosing an issue. Today's mechanic needs to almost be an electrical engineer along with knowing how to work on the mechanical side of the drivetrain and that's where the problem is (the manufacturer repair procedures I have seen are lacking or incomplete).
Yes, it is painful. I see your point with mechanics and the complexity of diesel engines. Thanks Jay.

rswaug

Reaction score
We have been struggling with them for 2 years to fix the 2022. (see this thread: Replace or Repurchase My defective 2022 Yukon) it is a persistent problem they having with these diesel model. Thanks.
I just so happen to manage a Chevrolet store and have dealt with my fair share of service issues. I'm certainly not discounting the fact that you've had problems with the 22. It just seems like a knee jerk reaction to have a unit bought back without even diagnosing the issue. The 24 is suffering from guilt by association and may be perfectly serviceable.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your thought is GM is the only one with quality issues on some of their builds, you will be in for a rude awakening. Owning a business, we have a mix and match fleet, we used to be all GM until the vehicle shortage hit, then it was buy what we could find. The overall majority have minor, or no issues at all, but there are a few from Ford, Lincoln, Ram, Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan that are the same, in the shop more than they are on the road.
The parts, engineering, and QC just isn't what it was pre-Covid. When I look at the Monthly Fleet Repair cost per mile, which lists all of the vehicles currently inservice, my blood almost boils. Repair failures are up, as well as the cost to repair. The days of the cigarette lighter doesn't work, I replaced the fuse, has morphed into the cigarette lighter didn't work, which also disabled the defroster, heater, A\C, put the engine into limp mode, and the dash lit up like the Grisswalds house at Christmas, and the midbody electrical panel was replaced to fix it.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they no sharing with you have is wrong with truck. I have seen this ask several times.

OP
OP
A

AAhmed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just so happen to manage a Chevrolet store and have dealt with my fair share of service issues. I'm certainly not discounting the fact that you've had problems with the 22. It just seems like a knee jerk reaction to have a unit bought back without even diagnosing the issue. The 24 is suffering from guilt by association and may be perfectly serviceable.
Thank you; I value your viewpoint, particularly in light of your previous management of a Chevrolet store.
might be! Despite having a single error code, they were never able to identify the issue with the 2022.
If they have a single error code or a tone of them, I wouldn't trust that they could solve the 2024 one.
Their value proposition is eliminated since we don't trust them.
BTW, the 24 has the same configurations as the 22. The exact same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel