Best Yukon Denali upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you all think the best upgrade for an 07-13 Yukon Denali XL is, interior wise and performance wise?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
For an 08 or all YXL Denali it’d have to be replacing the headlamp assemblies or grafting in LED headlamp assemblies like morimoto. Specifically for the 08 it’d have to be adding an 09+ OnStar VCIM module to integrate the factory BT for phone into the steering wheel controls.

Obviously the 2g o/s tech is dead still but you get the BT technology GM purposely held back on that’s cross compatible all the way back to 2001. And

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you all think the best upgrade for an 07-13 Yukon Denali XL is ... performance wise?
(Can't give an objective answer about the interior, too subjective.)

Performance-wise:
Bet you've AWD, so, maybe you might not be interested in upgrading both differentials from 3.08 to 3.42.
If you drive conservatively, 3.42 will help your engine be even more relaxed than it already is.
Might even save some MpGs, especially non-highway MpGs.
It'll also increase its tow rating some.
If you drive enthusiastically, you'll DEFINITELY get more smiles per gallon - but you can't have both simultaneously.

If you want something easier and cheaper, ecm & tcm tune (not a simple glade plug-in).
GM held back - but not only on the enthusiasm.
GM also sacrificed some 6L80E longevity and durability.
Most of the people who get their vehicle tuned:
wish they'd done it sooner
were pleasantly surprised at how much it resembles ordering a burger from five guys - surprisingly customizable to taste.
Although there are others with solid reputations, BlackBear Performance is highly recommended here.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the diode dynamics fog lights would be the first thing I'd do if I had it to do again.. but I'd still. end up with the head lights aways haha?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yea, diode dynamics, that’s the one. I definitely like the idea of 3.42 front & rear diff swap when it’s time for the next fluid change. I thought 6.8 sec for a 0-60 in 6.2L couldn’t be more fun, but …

I think the diode dynamics fog lights would be the first thing I'd do if I had it to do again.. but I'd still. end up with the head lights aways haha?

Our 08 Denali felt faster than the 09 Esky. Both are AWD but the 6.2L in the Denali made the springs raise the truck on full launch.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine what regear front and back cost these days. but I could definitely see 308 to 342 making a noticeable difference.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For around $700, you can get a Black Bear Performance tune that improves both engine and transmission performance. IMO, that is the best upgrade that you can do for the cost.

The second thing that you can do is to purchase a quality bi-directional scanner, which will save you thousands of dollars in diagnostics and maintenance costs over the life of your truck.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine what regear front and back cost these days. but I could definitely see 3.08 to 3.42 making a noticeable difference.
Costs of new parts is one thing. Used / rebuilt / remanufactured would bring down the costs noticeably.
(Those with much larger tires might even want to consider 3.73 - which was an OE option.)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Costs of new parts is one thing. Used / rebuilt / remanufactured would bring down the costs noticeably.
(Those with much larger tires might even want to consider 3.73 - which was an OE option.)

unless you can find a set of axles already setup, in good shape and ready to bolt in. i would warn against buying any kind of used ring & pinion, bearings and the like. it's almost impossible to setup a used gear and not have it whine it's brains out.

I don't think they reman gears? I've setup probably 10 sets of gears over the years. so not a ton of experience and all cars. none of them trucks. Just drag stuff and I always recommend buying new gm or motive gears. motive makes or did supply gm with gears. it makes it a ton easier to setup because the base setup will be very close using the stock shims as a staring point. using something like Richmond was always a hassle and always make a little bit of noise.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the possibility of whine. I have a 5SP M trans in our VW converted to 6SP M. Two gears are straight cut. The remaining 4 gears are axial. After 30 minutes of gear whine in comparison, elevator music is a dream come true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts