Best way to find an exhaust leak? Car smells like

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you use a stethoscope, like the one I use, it can pick up minute noises. I used my stethoscope to find a park sensor not working on a newer Tahoe. Could stand at back and not hear them at all but when using my stethoscope, you could hear that geiger counter sound at all of them except the bad one. Found the problem in less than a minute.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blow it up your tailpipe. :oops:

Got a shopvac and want to check when its not running? Hose up the tail pipe, and block off any extras tips. Spray soapy water anywhere to check. You will see bubbles if there are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas smell and exhaust smell are different. May have a fuel leak. If you smell "something" when first start up, I would assume you are smelling the exhaust leak from the broken stud untill the heat takes over and the metal swells slightly and helps restrict the leak. I would still look from front to back for any fuel leaks to be sure.
Yeah, now I’m smelling at the whole ride. I just realized so that’s great.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
72B62355-E395-47C3-A03F-55E7667D17CA.jpeg# 12570125 on the side of the block torqued on w/ a bolt on my L9H. Probably in the same local on all other 1/2 ton trucks. Some may have them under the valley cover but not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz