2014 Tahoe ticking update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having trouble troubleshooting a ticking noise… I was told exhaust leak on drivers side (rear stud snapped off inside the head) but I don’t see any soot or feel any air.

I picked a stethoscope up and started listening everywhere. I listened to both manifolds, both sound good. Here’s where it gets sticky…

I listened to both valve covers and I hear a metal ticking noise in the opposite manifold that’s broken, the passenger valve cover. Like the lifter or something. But i also hear it on the drivers side as well. Sounds the same. But I only hear the noise from under. I can’t really hear it on top unless I really listen to the passenger side over the noise of the engine.

I can’t figure out if it’s a lifter failing or tapping. Or if it’s a really weird exhaust leak that sounds like a lifter.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a half tank e85 and half tank of e87 I threw in the rest of some Seafoam I have to see if it stops the lifter ticking. Maybe it’s just gunked up. If it doesn’t work I’ll change my oil, add some to the crank case (Seafoam) and see if that works. And then change oil again after 200 or so miles?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moved you here from the 2015+ section

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts