Best place to mount HID ballasts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my DDM HID kit for the lows. Wondering where the best place to mount the ballasts would be. Where did you mount yours? I have read that you don't need to go through the fender liner or need to remove the headlight assembly. But that by removing the top 2 bolts on the headlight there should be enough room to get your hand in there.

Thanks!

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I have one ballast mounted on the side of my CAI box and one mounted right above where the spare battery tray is on the other side. I would not use the double sided tape that comes with the kit, I had a hard time getting it to stick and they kept falling off. I put some good 3M double sided tape on there and it has been good ever since.

OP
OP
M

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Did you remove the cai intake box to do the install on that side?

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
No, I just removed the top two bolts on the head light and stuffed my hand behind it. Its a tight sqeeze to say the least, but if you dont have time to pull the whole head light out it works.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I just removed the top two bolts on the head light and stuffed my hand behind it. Its a tight sqeeze to say the least, but if you dont have time to pull the whole head light out it works.

When installing these, must you do anythin other than plug in to existing harnesses?

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
When installing these, must you do anythin other than plug in to existing harnesses?

Well, to so it right and to avoid any issues, you really should add a new wire harness and relay. DDM tuning sells a nice harness and relay set up for $10 on sale right now. They are pretty easy to install.

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery tray is a good place to put the ballasts. Does ddm give you a bracket for the ballast that hugs it so you can mount it vertically?

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

You can also try out some zip ties.

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zip ties are your friend! i put them in the same place as conor, but used the double sided foam tape to keep it from rattling around then zip tied it so it would stay in place

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I'm a newbie on this forum my son and I have installed many sets of HIDs. I found out by accident when I ran out of 3m tape that I like using Velcro to hold the ballasts. Makes it easy to replace things and I will say that I have found out that whether installing expensive HIDs or a cheap set nothing lasts very long. Seems we are always replacing something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n