Best front struts? No Mag Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainBiker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m at 85k and need to do front struts on my 2015 Yukon XL. I don’t have Mag ride and many of the suspension posts I’m seeing when searching for struts relate to MRC. Trying to find what would be my best option for ride quality. I have a 2” drop spindle up front. I want to keep the factory height with strut. Is it better to do a quick Strut with complete spring/strut assembly from Monroe or Moog etc? Or just replace the strut? Are aftermarkets better than factory GM struts. I was always impressed with how smooth, quiet and comfortable the ride was. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
In your place I’d just replace them with the same part. You already know you like the ride. aftermarket can be better or worse, depending on the brand and price point. Of course better for what use is perhaps the real question; after all will an expensive performance strut really give a better result on the highway for someone who enjoys the OEM ride? It might be measurably better in some technical terms, but you might like the ride less.

OP
OP
M

MountainBiker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In your place I’d just replace them with the same part. You already know you like the ride. aftermarket can be better or worse, depending on the brand and price point. Of course better for what use is perhaps the real question; after all will an expensive performance strut really give a better result on the highway for someone who enjoys the OEM ride? It might be measurably better in some technical terms, but you might like the ride less.
Thanks for reply. I use my truck for a regular commuter daily driver. I don’t tow with this truck. It’s more of a family hauler. Just did wheels/tires/brake kit and lower kit and now struts are making noise so I’m at that point where they need to replaced. Just curious if factory is way to go or if people are getting better results with something different.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m at 85k and need to do front struts on my 2015 Yukon XL. I don’t have Mag ride and many of the suspension posts I’m seeing when searching for struts relate to MRC. Trying to find what would be my best option for ride quality. I have a 2” drop spindle up front. I want to keep the factory height with strut. Is it better to do a quick Strut with complete spring/strut assembly from Monroe or Moog etc? Or just replace the strut? Are aftermarkets better than factory GM struts. I was always impressed with how smooth, quiet and comfortable the ride was. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm near double your mileage and want to replace my originals one now. If the ride and durability is this good, what could be better? I'm sticking with GM OE and by doing so have to order each component separately and put them together myself. Going to buy an OTC spring compressor. The pre-assembled struts from GM and everyone else aren't anywhere near the quality of the originals.

You might just get away with only replacing the shock and to find the right code, look for the 6XX and 7XX on your RPO sheet and then plug your VIN in here and have a look:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

For that, you could probably pull the strut assembly out and pay a local shop $20 or so to swap out the old for new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518