Best 4L60E trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my '03 Yukon has 165k on the clock and I'm looking to beef up performance a bit.

Motor is stock with airbox mods, AiRaid tube and I have LT's, ORY and Cat back on the way.

Thinking E-Fans, new radiator and cam once spring rolls around.

I'm thinking I might be better off just redoing the trans altogether. I saw multiple Trans shops on another forum that offer ready built units and am thinking about just ordering a complete rebuilt 4L60E ready to swap in. Also thinking about a Yank TT3000 torque converter.

Any recommendations on a good trans shop for this? Any stand above the rest for quality?
Looks like I'll need a trans cooler too.

This truck is a daily driver and just want to maximize performance at a milder level. Don't need huge HP, but do want to improve launch, shift points and reliability.

Thanks!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Performabuilt
And
Transbuilderguy a member on performance trucks.net

If, and this is a big, if. I was to ever rebuild a 4l60 it would only go to one of those two.

Now thats said, i wouldnt rebuold a 60, i would swap in a 80.
Even bone stock and used ot handles mpre power than a built 60 costing in excess of 2k. A used 80 can be bought for 500$, not counting swap costs, 1k-1500 depending how crazy you go.

Everything you need to know to swap in a 80 is on performancetrucks.net including a tubular crossmember specifacly made for the 80 swap.
The 60 was designed as a car/light truck trans and was never intended to go into fullsize leta lone a SUV. But gm and their penny pinching habits chose to use it.

If your considering perfomance mods like a convertor and cam, dont dick around with a trans that even once built will still fail.
Get on that website and into the drivetrainsection, read the thousands of posts from guys killing stock-wildly modified 60's non stop, then finnaly making the swap to a 80 and never blowing up a trans again.

OP
OP
DPGDirk

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Performabuilt
And

If, and this is a big, if. I was to ever rebuild a 4l60 it would only go to one of those two.

Even bone stock and used ot handles mpre power than a built 60 costing in excess of 2k. A used 80 can be bought for 500$, not counting swap costs, 1k-1500 depending how crazy you go.

Everything you need to know to swap in a 80 is on performancetrucks.net including a tubular crossmember specifacly made for the 80 swap.
The 60 was designed as a car/light truck trans and was never intended to go into fullsize leta lone a SUV. But gm and their penny pinching habits chose to use it.

If your considering perfomance mods like a convertor and cam, dont dick around with a trans that even once built will still fail.
Get on that website and into the drivetrainsection, read the thousands of posts from guys killing stock-wildly modified 60's non stop, then finnaly making the swap to a 80 and never blowing up a trans again.
Thanks once again for some good solid advice. I'll check into an 80...

OP
OP
DPGDirk

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't wanna do the conversion and we have a real solid trans shop in our area that I've known for many years, so I had them build me a fresh 4L60E. I'll never be making even 400HP, so it ought to live. Spoke to Yank and he didn't recommend his 11" converter that I was looking at. 3000 RPM's sounded great, but wouldn't work well for those 3 hour trips towing the polaris ranger down the freeway at 75mph. My truck downshifts all the time and lock-up wouldn't be staying on.

Anyway, they built me a stock style (12"?) converter that's stalling right at 2500RPM's. Trans has all the goodies- Sonnax Smart-tech input drum assy, with HD sleeve kit, TransGo HD2 shift kit, Vette 2nd servo, billet 4th servo, Beast sun shell, 10 vane billet rotor, etc, and a Tru-Flow trans cooler.

She gets out of the hole much better now- even a little tire spin. Shifts pretty smooth under moderate throttle, but hard when you get on it. Very noticeable upgrade.

Now for the LT headers, ORY, cat-back and BBP autocal retune! Oh- and E-Fans and a new radiator...

t_ahan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a Performabuilt heavy hauler/level 2 and it was fine in my 03 denali with bolt ons even with a cam and heads, but now with the bottom end worked the trans is starting to let go again 2-3 WOT up shift. i am at the point that i need to do some homework to do the 80 swap........
i am have burned it up when i turned off torque management. the damage is already done but i turned tq management back on to help limit the revs when i romp on her!

5280Racer

Reaction score
I built mine myself but I was a Chevy tech... any reputable trans shop in your home town can rebuild a 4L60 its simple only takes a few hours. converter I'd stick to as close to stock as possible no need for billet shafts and stuff.. upgrade your cooler yourself.. by the fittings the replace the e clip factory ones build your now lines and mount the cooler in the same place very easy to do.

0Tahoe3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey racer, I have seen a few videos rebuilding the 4l60...would you by them, or have you done that many?
My xmsn has acted up a few times in the past month or so, but 2200 for a monster ss is a bit steep for me.

5280Racer

Reaction score
youtube! I went to UTI many years when I was getting retired from the Army. There are a few specialty tools you'll need mainly piston compressor and snap ring pliers but can be purchased easily.. if you take your time and follow the directions its so incredibly simple. I order my rebuild kits from Transpartswearhouse.com clean it really well and get some trans gel and rebuild.. I could give you my number too if you have any questions during the process..

Hey racer, I have seen a few videos rebuilding the 4l60...would you by them, or have you done that many?
My xmsn has acted up a few times in the past month or so, but 2200 for a monster ss is a bit steep for me.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key to keeping a 4l60 alive is torque management. I just finished swapping a cammed 6.0 in my truck and had BBP add some TM back into the tune. I have a Jasper Engines reman unit with shift kit and big cooler and i added a circle d 2800 stall with the new engine. All I can is nobody offers a 3yr/100 warranty like them. The guy said if I can break it they'll fix it. I put roughly 50k miles on it with a tuned 5.3 with no TM and only had to replace 1 shift solenoid and do a fluid change. It's worked out so far , but if I had known then what I know now I would have went 4l80 and regeared the truck to 4.11 which will happen eventually.

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Performabuilt
And

How hard is it to swap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian

Latest posts