Beach driving thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly why I put them on mine I went thru mud the first time and it was all over the steps, I was like wth? my 2000 never did that, I used these
Husky Liners Front/Rear Mud Splash Guard Combo Set Part # 56781/56731
install was pretty basic I drilled two additional holes in the rear plastic to mount better
you'll want to just turn your front wheels for the front install, the rear you have to take the wheels off to get them on there just isn't any room with the wheels on.

I put on husky no drill flaps and didnt have to take off the rear tires. Maybe with 22's you do though, not sure. They absolutely help though, no doubt.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put on husky no drill flaps and didnt have to take off the rear tires. Maybe with 22's you do though, not sure. They absolutely help though, no doubt.
I have 20's on my denali, on the rear there just wasn't any room to work without it taking all day long so I took the wheels off for convenience, I drilled 2 small holes in the plastic because it made it a much firmer mount. I am happy with the husky's they seem to be holding up pretty good.

andrewr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
we have a 2015 LTZ and spent a week in Carova and down the 4X4 beach this past summer. My parents came down to visit as well and they have a 2016 Tahoe Z71. Neither had any issues. Honestly, we probably didn't even need to put it in 4wd, but did every time just so we weren't "those people" getting stuck out there. The worst area is the area right after/before the hard ball depending on if you are coming or going. The sand gets deep there and if the person in front of you freaks out and slows down instead of keeping it moving, it can make it a little difficult. Other than that, once you get through it, just say to the right by the surf or in a good set of already made tracks. just keep your foot on the gas when moving front one set of tracks to another too. Neither of the Tahoes had any issues or have had any since it due to the sand. we did have sand in every crevice it seems for a while afterwards, but eventually got it cleaned all out with car washes over time. Had it at the dealer and asked the same questions about sand in joints and bearings and they looked it over with nothing found or anything of concern.

It was a blast staying a week on the 4X4 beach! have fun and enjoy! The Z won't have any issues.

OP
OP
B

barho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all! Andrew your post was what I was hoping to hear! Really looking forward to the trip. The house we are staying in is literally three homes from NC/VA border. Should be a blast.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my new burban on the beach in Texas and it performed great. 4WD mode, stay out of the water, stay mostly on the tire tracks and you are good. If you get into a hairy situation immediately before digging ruts, lower tire pressure to 15psi, put in 4WD low and crawl out slowly. People take tons of vehicles on the beaches without issue. The real killer is salt on the roads up north.

Last edited:

Clive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I too was somewhat hesitant taking my 2017 Silverado Z71 into sandy/beach conditions with less than 500 miles on the odometer. No issues, perfect for testing 4HI & 4LO, Traction Control, etc. Needed to tow out a car from some soft sand, so pack your tow rope.
2011 Tahoe same place was fun too - do watch out for the front bumper/air dam plastic extension being quite low if you do any aggressive routes - we ripped ours off on a pretty steep descent when it dug into the sand going downhill. Oops.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These folks worried about salt exposure for a week!

Snowbelt states put down 250-500 lbs of salt per lane mile every snowstorm!
When I think about driving on the beach, I don't think about salt and salty air, I think about grains of sand getting into places where you don't want them to be...

But, damn, my sinuses do love that air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew