Beach driving thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I just purchased my new 2017 Z71 and I'd like some help from the forum. We are heading to Carova, NC for vacation July 4th week. What can I do to be sure I do everything I can to keep from damaging it? I know to stay out of the salt water, but what about sand in the bearings and underneath? Once we get to the house (30-45 min beach drive) I plan to unload and rinse off the undercarriage as much as possible at the house and let it sit for the week, then once off the island on way home I'll find a nice touchless car wash place with undercarriage wash. Anything else others can recommend? Should I just not chance it and rent a Tahoe? I'd really like to think the Z71 can handle a beach drive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
going just once wont hurt anything in any way, if you lived on the beach and drove it everyday then that's different. sand does manage to get in every nook and cranny, you'll be having a harder time getting it out of the interior than anything else.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove mine on Daytona's beaches for a couple of days. Used the pressure wash from a local carwash afterwards and then with the garden hose when I got home. There was sand everywhere, it piled up on the running boards and then we tracked it into the truck. Funny thing, the speed limit was like 15 but still the running boards filled up.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Same thing happens when driving slow on my buddies long dirt driveway too.

Going to add splash guards as this guy's old bones don't take kindly to falling off slippery running boards!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove mine on Daytona's beaches for a couple of days. Used the pressure wash from a local carwash afterwards and then with the garden hose when I got home. There was sand everywhere, it piled up on the running boards and then we tracked it into the truck. Funny thing, the speed limit was like 15 but still the running boards filled up.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.!

I did the exact same thing when I drove mine on Daytona's beaches.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add that more than a few times we veered out of the lanes and drove through the surf as the tide was coming in, had to replicate a trip through Daytona's surf that I'd taken 21 years or so earlier! Again, no ill effects with a good washing afterwards. Pay particular attention when washing to the brake rotors too.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, I would not use a pressure washer. You wouldn't want to force the sand into some place special, where it isn't already. A garden hose is what I use.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Same thing happens when driving slow on my buddies long dirt driveway too.

Going to add splash guards as this guy's old bones don't take kindly to falling off slippery running boards!
exactly why I put them on mine I went thru mud the first time and it was all over the steps, I was like wth? my 2000 never did that, I used these
Husky Liners Front/Rear Mud Splash Guard Combo Set Part # 56781/56731
install was pretty basic I drilled two additional holes in the rear plastic to mount better
you'll want to just turn your front wheels for the front install, the rear you have to take the wheels off to get them on there just isn't any room with the wheels on.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to air down your tires. Bring a shovel. I’d turn off the traction control and just use the limited slip. And 4wd of course

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons